Mysql Odbc

Hi,

I am playing around with developing a Progress frontend to a MySQL database via ODBC.

Wondering what ODBC drivers I can use to achieve this. Anyone any experience (negative or positive) of doing this.

Regards,
Paul

jongpau

Yes, without the ODBC DataServer you probably will not make it (Progress loves making money so hooking their 4GL up to another database will cost you as well).

However, there may be tricks to get around it. In the past I have used a little ActiveX component that allowed you to use an Access "database" from Progress without the need for DataServers or anything like that. So, if you do manage to find a way to do this, please let us know (I am sure there are more people interested).

Thanks all for that.

Seems like the Progress DataServer is the only way all right.
Rules out that possibility, would need Client License + DataServer seat per client.

Looks like I'll be running with VB.....

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
if your already using openedge
why not trade your mysql database for an openedge rdbms ?

you can still connect to the database thru odbc/jdbc

Joey,

Don't fully understand your post.

My client already have a PHP/MySQL environment.
They require me to develop an application, the bulk of which will be developed using PHP.
However, there is a requirement for a module which will require the use of a touchscreen. Obviously, PHP isn't ideal for this so I was hoping to develop it in Progress.

Unfortunately, cost of doing so is prohibitive so I'll explore other options like VB etc as a frontend.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
using progress without a database, interesting :)

i'm not all that familiar with it, but will flash work ?

Joey,

Don't think Flash is an option to be honest.
Looks like VB - it has support for the native MySQL ODBC driver...

Paul

jongpau

Or you can have a go with PHP-GTK; see http://gtk.php.net/ for more info.

Last time I used it it felt a little bit strange to use and the UI it produced was not very windows like, but it does allow you to use your old faithful PHP and mySQL and create a Graphical UI with it as well (and all that for FREE woohoo)

jongpau,

Had a look with PHP-GTK alright. Downloaded the samples from the site, not too sure that the finished UI is strong enough for what I need. Definitely something worth keeping an eye on although I hear that development for Windows support may be dropped...

jongpau

Knowing how PHP prides itself as being portable etc I sure hope they will not drop Windows support. Although I do remember reading something about support for Windows 9x based versions such as 95,98,ME, and 2000...

We'll see what it all brings (patience is a virtue in this case I think)

erick.rosales

Ok friends... I want to do the following....

1. Connect MySQL with OpenEdge 10.01A
2. Make programs with 4GL using both databases (tables mixed of the two databases)
3. Write into MySql information from Progress Database.
4. I have the idea of use Dataserver ODBC (The doubt here is to know if MySQL is compliant with this Progress Product)
5. How can I do all the following

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTION

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
I think a dataserver would be your first choice, especially, for transaction processing and mixing Progress and non-Progress databases or external transactions.

MySQL also has a C API you could use from Progress but you'll have to figure out howto handle transactions before writing the first line of code. Scott Auge wrote an open source project for converting a Progress database to MySQL that makes use of the C API you could look at.

http://www.amduus.com/amduus_com/

http://amduus.com/OpenSrc/SrcLib/pro2mysql/

But I think you should start by telling us why you'd want to go with MySQL and not Progress ?

I've recently worked on a project that involved a simple one-way log-based replication scheme. I'm considering of writing a similar one-way replication engine between Progress and MySQL for reporting purposes.

If anyone would be interested or would like to sponsor such a project feel free to contact me.

erick.rosales

Thanks friend for answer...

In fact I want to connect both databases MySql and Progress, because I need to do an Integration of information among Progress and MySql.

There's a Portal Web programmed in PHP powered by a MySQL Database.

I need to transfer catalogs like customers, purchase orders, items, etc´, from the ERP Progress to the Portal Web.

I've already finished today an integration among SQL Server and Progress and is working fine, but I used the Dataserver for SQL Server for OpenEdge 10.01A.

I need to do exactly the same but with MySQL.

Could you help me with more information.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
a quick look at the knowledge base returned that mysql is not supported for the odbc dataserver (kb P5591).

http://tinyurl.com/yoc37y

the solution they give is using ado.net through com-handles (of course windows only).

http://tinyurl.com/ytm5g7

the companies do have a heated past ;)

so if you're thinking of tightly winded progress and mysql transactions it may be alot more complicated then it sounds.

but if you only want to replicate some data from the progress to mysql database you have a couple of options.

thats as much as i can help you here. good luck.

erick.rosales

Yes... I've read the ODBC Dataserver documentation and only support some Databases. (I need to do a test by myself only to take me out the doubt if is possible to connect because is Open Database Base Connection, it means that I could connect whatever thing wich has an ODBC driver, but I know Progress Company and if they said that MySQL is not supported is NOT SUPPORTED, only I want to achieve some expierence).

So baking to the reality, I'm going to study the way of using COM-HANDLES to do the communication with MySQL (The unique thing is the Server, I though that is a Linux Server and not Windows).

But well, we have other solution (VERY COMPLEX) do it with Java (I really don't know much a lot of this languaje) but it could works in WIN, LINUX, MAC.

If I could get success doing this I'm going to post the sample in order share the knowldege.

Thanks Joey... For all your time.

Have a nice weekend.

erick.rosales

OK I have read the information... And I won't do the test... Is a waste of time... PROGRESS DO NOT SUPPORT MySQL¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ I need to connected via MS Access but shure with some Performance Issues.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
we would all be interested to hear back from you on how you handled the problem

and any experiences or lessons you learned along the way. good luck !