MS-Excel and progress

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Hello Helmut,

I can recommend a couple of fantastic Excel books, specifically about Excel reporting features. There's nothing specific to Progress (almost), although, to use a SQL data source you're going need a fairly recent version, 10.1x.

Excel can be a very powerful, easy to use, easy to setup solution and users take to it right away. A lot of people and managers are surprised when they get to know Excel's reporting features. Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts, generate off line OLAP cubes, Web enabled reports etc.

If you need help setting up or you'd like to know more about some of the Excel features and hear some of the experiences we've had, feel free to contact me privately (though, I'm moving to a new apartment over the weekend and may be unreachable for a number of days).

I don't know about any "documentation" as such linking these two. However, there are some simple ways to do this:

1. Start Microsoft Excel
2. Go to Tools -> Macros -> Record a New Macro. Give some name to that and press ok.
3. Now Macro will be recording the tasks you are doing.
4. Do the things manually (those that would be done thru code); one step at a time.
5. Stop Macro.
6. Go to Tools -> Macros -> Edit Macro.
7. This will give you the VB equivalent of the code to execute.
8. Open Progress Appbuilder and click on COM Object viewer (or start proobjvw.exe from Progress\bin folder).
9. Open the OLB file related to Excel. This file will be in the same folder as the EXCEL.EXE resides (usually). For example if you have opted default path at the time of Office installation and if you have Office 2003, this file (XL5EN32.OLB) may be in c:\program files\microsoft office\office11 folder.
10. From the Macro you read in step 6, find the method you need to apply or property you need to set and the COM Object viewer will give you the Progress equivalent code for that. Please note: the values shown in Macros or COM Object viewer may not be used directly in certain cases. For example when a cell is right aligned Macro will give you a code as .HorizontalAlignment = xlRight . Do not try to add the code like that in Progress. Go back to Macros, right click on the word xlRight and from the popup menu click on Definition. That will give you the definition of xlRight (i.e. -4152). So in Progress when you write the code you should use -4152 as the code and not xlRight.

11. Repeat the steps mentioned above for each task you do and see the Macro in excel.
A little bit of trial and error and help from other websites will give an excellent idea of how to do most of the functions you need in Excel.