Manual Server (-m2) is that only use for debug ??

sw2000s

Hi All:

the manual said -m2 have 2 purpose .. did any one use -m2 for other work ,like normal login broker ??
usually -m3 is for SQL92 Connection . did some one use the broker for Application Server connection ??

TKS

Use Manual Server (-m2) to manually start a remote user server after you start a broker (servers
are generally started automatically by the broker process). Use this parameter in the following
cases:
• For debugging purposes, to start servers directly and observe their behavior
• On systems where automatic server generation is not possible

Use Secondary Login Broker (-m3) to start each secondary broker in a network environment where more than one broker is using the same protocol.
The secondary broker logs in clients and starts remote user servers.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
did any one use -m2 for other work ,like normal login broker
I have never needed or wanted to manually spawn a server. I have never used -m2.

usually -m3 is for SQL92 Connection
No. The -m3 parameter in a proserve command line (to start a broker) distinguishes it as a secondary broker, i.e. a remote-connection broker that was started after the database was opened in multi-user mode by the primary broker (which may or may not be a connection broker). The type of servers that secondary broker will spawn is governed by its -ServerType parameter. A secondary broker might be a SQL broker, by convention, for some specific environment or application, but that is not an OpenEdge constraint.

Also, somewhat unintuitively, a database can have multiple secondary brokers (there is no such term as tertiary broker, etc.).

Use Secondary Login Broker (-m3) to start each secondary broker in a network environment where more than one broker is using the same protocol.
I assume in this context "protocol" means network protocol (i.e. TCP) rather than wire protocol (4GL or SQL). Once upon a time, it wasn't clear that TCP would emerge as the clear choice for a connection-based transport protocol, and so there is language like this in the docs, and parameters like -N (whose only possible value is now TCP).

In the modern day, this phrasing is confusing and should be removed. Otherwise someone might think they only need to specify -m3 when they have two 4GL brokers, as opposed to one 4GL and one SQL.