Licenses Costs 2011

rolguin

Hi,

I work for a company which deals with a Progress Developer Partner.

We are in process of renewing our OpenEdge 10.2B licenses for 2011.

And we see the costs for this going a bit unreal. How do we know if they are applying the fair costs?
I saw costs for Progress Licenses in this Forum from a Post - posted by tomhas in 2006.

We need to know the actual costs in Euros for this products below:

- [FONT=&quot]MerantSQL89 ODBC Drv 32b PC - MS-Windows 3.1

- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OE Workgroup RDBMS PC - Linux Intel 10.2A

- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OE Studio PC - Win32

- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Query/RESULTS PC - Linux

- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OE Application Svr Ent PC - Linux

- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4GL Development System PC - Linux

- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OE Personal RDBMS PC - Win32

- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SonicMQ Standard Edition Java - DVD 7.6

- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Client Networking PC - Win32

Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

[/FONT]
Regards,

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Once upon a time I had the worldwide price lists, but that is way out of date and all I have now is the US price list. I do know that the answer really requires knowing the country as there are, or were anyway, multiple price lists in Euros.

When you say "renewing" what do you mean really. If you have the license and are current on maintenance, then all you need to do is keep paying maintenance. If you haven't kept up on maintenance or are buying new seats, that is, of course, a different issue.

Oh, and for the database, we need to know your license model - concurrent user, registered client, named user, and/or access agent.

Are you really using Personal RDBMS?

rolguin

Hi Tamhas,

Firstly, thanks for your quick reply.

Sorry, I meant: maintenance and the country is Ireland but the vendor is from UK.

If you don't have the full cost, that it is Ok. But, at least do you know how much if the maintenance cost is something between 15% and 18% of the full price of the Product?

Thanks,
Regards,

rolguin

Hi Tamhas,

Thank you again.

Another information please:

How is the License calculated for WebSpeed in the version 102B?
Is the WebSpeed included in the Appserver License at OE version?

Regards,

RealHeavyDude

Since OpenEdge 10 there is no separate license for the WebSpeed Broker anymore - it's included in the AppServer license.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

rolguin

Hi Dude,

Right. That was that I saw also digging in the net. BUT,

My vendor is saying the cost it might increase depending of how many users access the database trough the Web Page (WebSpeed) which will use AppSever.

Does that make sense for you? As we have paid the License for AppServer that is. Is that right?

Thank you,
Kind Regards,

RealHeavyDude

Well - there is, and there is no simple answer to that. It will depend on the license model you pick for OpenEdge 10. With OpenEdge 10 Progress introduced two licensing models, registered client and named user, which should replace the concurrent user license model offered with Progress V9. But they allow customers to stay on the concurrent user license model when upgrading to OpenEdge 10. Plus additionally they have individual contracts like machine of CPU base pricing with some customer.

Anyway, usually Progress demands the license count for the AppServer (be it WebSpeed or not) to be the same as that for the database - or vice versa depending on your point of view.

Depending on the model that gives you different options on how you can set up your server environment.

The problem, IMHO, is that most Progress sales reps don't understand their own licensing models so that they would recommend your the one that suits you best. Plus their are always interested in their commissions - so they might want to talk you into something you don't really need.

• You need to find out which license model you have at the moment.
  • You need to determine whether you want to stay with the licensing model when upgrading to OpenEdge 10 or migrate to one that suits you better.
  • The count of licenses you need to buy is highly depending on the aforementioned licensing choice you made.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Expanding on RHD, the license model in V9 and OE10 is quite different ... unless you moved your licenses from V9 to OE10 and brought your concurrent user licenses with you. The core idea in the original OE10 licensing was that one "thing" = one user and the user count would be consistent from the DB all the way through AppServer and to the client if there was Progress product at the client. Thing is either a device for Registered Client or a person for Named User. Of course, this is a problem for people with applications which are open to the public over the web, so the concept of Access Agent pricing was introduced. That pricing applies only to users who do not login in to the application and who use the application less than 2 hours a week. So, fine for public commerce, but not for users in the company who happen to come in via browser clients.

RealHeavyDude

IMHO ...

The licensing models Progress offers are driven by more aspects than suiting deployment scenarios of different customers. Mostly I think they are driven by the need to generate license revenue. But that's the case with every vendor selling commercial software. That's why licensing models are how they are.

The bad thing with _SOME_ (not all) sales reps is that neither do they understand their own licensing model themselves nor are they interested in the best solution for the customer. Instead they are mostly driven by reaching or exceeding their figures and selling the products which are pushed by Progress.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
They are all driven by numbers.

Some just hide it better than others.

A vanishingly small minority might take a long term view that customer success will lead to their success. If you think you know such a sales person you're probably wrong. You've actually probably got one of those who hides it well :(