JDBC driver to connect a Progress Database

AbdelBorowsky

Hi !

It's my first post on this forum so I hope I will have some answer to my problems... :)

I have Progress databases (OpenEdge 10.0B) on linux server (Suse). I would like to connect to these databases with a JDBC driver from BIRT (Report design, Eclipse plug-in)

So I use "progress.jar" and "jdbc.jar" files which are in the dlc\java directory. I put these files in a directory of BIRT.

In BIRT, I can choose the driver class : "com.progress.sql.jdbc.JdbcProgressDriver"
and i write the url : "jdbc:jdbcprogress:T:hostname:port:database"
(Login and Password are asked too)

But when I try to test the connection, there is an error : "No suitable driver found for..."

What is the problem ? if you have an idea...

I hear that it can be the CLASSPATH !?

Do I have to do something on the linux server which hosts databases ?

Thanks a lot !

PS : Sorry if my english is poor... I'm french...:D

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Try putting:
$DLC/java/openedge.jar
$DLC/java/util.jar
$DLC/java/base.jar

in your CLASSPATH.

HTH,

Casper.

Casper

Staff member
I misread your progress version. My example classpath was for 10.1B+

you should use
$DLC/java/jdbc.jar
$DLC/java/progress.jar

Furthermore set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DLC/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

HTH,

Casper.

AbdelBorowsky

Ok, Thanks.

I try what you said but it doesn't work...

Always the same error... Progress drivers are really completed :biggrin:

Casper

Staff member
What OS are you using: Is Birt installed on the same OS as your database?

Could you post your classpath and path settings?

Regards,

Casper.

AbdelBorowsky

No, BIRT is installed on a computer with Windows XP and my database is on Linux server (Suse).

CLASSPATH :
.;C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\lib\ext\QTJava.zip;E:\dlcv10b\java\jdbc.jar;E:\dlcv10b\java\progress.jar

PATH :
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\NetSarang;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;e:\oracle\ora92\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.3.1\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\

Is that you want ? :)

i try to connect with BIRT, but if I can connect from others soft like Pentaho Metadata Editor or Pentaho Data Integration it will be cool ! :)

But I think if it works with BIRT, it will work with the others.

Thanks

Casper

Staff member
You should also set PATH environment:
in your case:

PATH=E:\dlcv10b\lib;%PATH%
HTH,

Casper.

AbdelBorowsky

Ok.

I add what you said in my path. And it doesn't work...:D

My classpath :
.;C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\lib\ext\QTJava.zip;E:\dlcv10b\java\jdbc.jar;E:\dlcv10b\java\progress.jar

My Path :
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\NetSarang;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;e:\oracle\ora92\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.3.1\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;E:\dlcv10b\lib

If you have others ideas... :(

EDIT : Nothing to do on the Linux server which hosts Progress Databases ?

Casper

Staff member
Hmm, still the same error?

EDIT : Nothing to do on the Linux server which hosts Progress Databases ?

That comes with the next error you get. :)

What happens if you make a dsn (odbc with odbcad32) and try to connect to the database with the right credentials?

Regards Casper.

(I am almost at the point of downloading BIRT myself to see if I get it working :))

AbdelBorowsky

Yes it still the same error... :)

Ok Ok... And how many errors will i have ? :D

I try with the Windows tool to connect with ODBC and i have this error :
[Datadirect][ODBC OpenEdge Driver]Invalid attribute in connection string : Description. [Datadirect][ODBC OpenEdge Driver][OPENEDGE]Error in Network Daemon

My description is "test"...

Thank you for all you have already done to resolve my problem.

EDIT : I tried to connect to my server with the Progress Explorer Tool installed with OpenEdge 10.0B and I didn't succeed in. According to it, my login and/or password are wrong. But if I modify the port, it tells me "Impossible to connect to the AdminServer, Check that it's started" (in french please ! lol). I'm sure that the AdminServer is started. (But Maybe this is another problem which has no link with the driver...)

EDIT n°2 : I tried to connect to my server with the SQL Explorer Tool of Progress and it is wonderful, it works perfectly with the JDBC driver. This tool use this URL to connect : jdbc:jdbcprogress:T:10.100.48.224:49175:stdr . When I put this URL in BIRT it doesn't work... It's strange because this tool uses a JDBC driver...

4GLNewbie

Can you see what jdbc files uses the software that doesn't work? And see if they match with the ones that do the job correctly instead?
Sounds strange that you cannot connect with only one of the two..

I hope you will solve that soon.

AbdelBorowsky

@4GLNewbie : I don't really understand what you told me... :D:blush1:

For now, I decide to use ODBC connection and it works...

But I'll really want to use JDBC a day...:D even if it seems not very easy...

4GLNewbie

Sorry not to have been able to explain myself..
I will try again.

You have Application 1 that can connect and Application 2 than cannot.
Both use jdbc drivers or do i misunderstand something?

If yes.
Check out what are the .jar files used by the two and then differences in the connection string they use..

4GLNewbie

So maybe a firewall trouble? Maybe one application has been blocked.. ?
I cant figure out other reasons.. if everything it's the same..

AbdelBorowsky

Yes, maybe... I'm going to look if the problem can be on this side...

PS : Sorry for my english and my understanding if they are bad...:lol:

AbdelBorowsky

I have some newz ! :)

My JDBC connection is working. I don't know why but it's working...:confused: :D

Maybe it's the PATH, you told me to add $DLC\lib and when I tried $DLC\bin it's working... but was it really that ...?

Moreover I think that I have to stop and start the database so as to environnement variable are really understanding by the system...

Thank you !

Casper

Staff member
OMG, sorry for that, I thought I typed it well, I thought bin but typed lib.. :(

I see no need for restarting the database after changing the environment settings. If you did it the right way then the environment is only set for that instance of Birt and not for the entire machine. There is no need to make global environment definitions. (you will get in trouble if you have more then one version of Progress installed.)
BTW, I thought your database was on a remote server and not local on hte machine where BIRT runs...

Casper.

AbdelBorowsky

Yes, i must make a mistake, it's not the database which have to be reboot but the soft from which we want to connect to the Progress database. (BIRT or others...)