Answered Is there a way to store a compilable encrypted .p

Pioux

Hi everyone,

Just a quick explanation about my problem. We would like to protect some of our procedure files ".p" (OpenEdge). The reason is that some of them contains hosts names or passwords, and we don't want the developers to be able to read them.
The problem is that we want to keep them "compilable" by the progress compilator, and want to avoid any "custom" way to do that.

I wonder if you know if there is a Progress "native" way to do that ?

Thanks.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The xcode utility is what you are looking for.

xcode -d targetDirectory program.p

This creates targetDirectory/program.p which is an encrypted program. The encryption is not NSA quality stuff. But it will prevent casual snooping.

Pioux

Thank you Tom, it's exactly what we were looking for. This kind of encryption will be sufficient for our needs.

RealHeavyDude

Don't get me wrong, but hard coding host names and pass words in a procedure might not be the best idea. Since OE10.0B cryptography is supported by the ABL and if I were you I would encrypt this information and store it in a separate location ( file ).

Pioux

I totally agree with you. This will be just a step.
We are taking over some old pieces of code and we are preparing a "safe" way to store these informations, but until this we wanted to protect these programs.