Is Progress 9.1D supported on Redhat enpterprise 5.3 ?

sunnyleung

Dear all,
I tried to install progress 9.1d on Redhat linux enpterprise 5.3, but it displayed an error "_ovrly: relocation error: ./_ovrly: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference". Who can tell me how to fix it. Thanks.

:confused:

Best Regards,
Sunny Leung.

Dear all,
I tried to install progress 9.1d on Redhat linux enpterprise 5.3, but it displayed an error "_ovrly: relocation error: ./_ovrly: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference". Who can tell me how to fix it. Thanks.

:confused:

Best Regards,
Sunny Leung.

When you are trying to install software on Linux that is older than the os, you need to view the build script of the software and compare the version of the library referenced in it to the to the actual version installed:

If the build script has libc.so.4 and libc.so.6 is installed you have to create a symbolic link from the current library file to the referenced. man ln

NewB

You can find a compat libstdc++ for old version,

on centos 5.3
"yum search libstdc++"
return
"compat-libstdc++-293.i386 "

you must install it.

NewB

You must use your packet manager (i think its always up2date) in order to find this compat lib.

You must have an active account to use it.

Centos and Redhat are very close, so i think you will find this compat lib without problems ;)

rstanciu

I'm not agree with these kind on methods, I use linux from 9 years, on "non-supported"
configurations like Caldera/Fedora/Mandriva ... I experienced a lot of cases ...
99% works .. but 1% dont ... and this 1% is mandatory.
My opinion is to refer your configuration to Availability Guide (OS/OE version/Java version)
and respect these requirements.

geek-mode: you install progress in a good configuration OS version ... bla ... bla ...
copy the $DLC to the new server and try to see what is missing with:

ldd $DLC/bin/_progres
ldd $DLC/bin/_mprosrv

etc .... and install what is missing

BIG attention to your java version because java dosen't keep the background compatibility.
You say , I have to put the last version of java .... it work's better ... this is worst !

When progress 9.1D was build he use the java 1.3 .... If you change this, to 1.5 or 1.6,
betwin these vesions ... there are functions or default values changed ... and what is happening ?

99% works .. but 1% dont :(

sunnyleung

Who can tell me the procedures of how to fix the problem that I mentioned on the above "_ovrly:relocation error... version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 on either CENTOS 5.3 or RHEL 5.3. Because it's very hard for me to fit. Thanks.

Sunny Leung.

Attachments

• _ovrly error.doc
    69.5 KB · Views: 29

Kernel

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am not a Linux guru by any stretch and am getting the sam eissue trying to install on a Red Hat 5.4 machine.

We're stuck on 9.1d for now. I know it's old and unsupported but we have 2 applications on it and we're not upgrading anytime soon.

If 5.3/5.4 are definately out of the picture, can anyine tell me what the last version of Red Hat enterprice is that it works on? We have a system running 4 but I'd prefer to setup this new system with the latest approved version.

Thanks.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It's ok for you to upgrade RH but you're "stuck" on Progress 9.1D? In spite of 9.1D being 10 years old, utterly unsupported *and* spitting out an error that you cannot resolve?

Sounds a bit like you've got the cart before the horse...

Kernel

Yes, we're stuck on 9.1D but can upgrade our OS because the OS was a mere $350. The person who did the Progress upgrade research is no longer with our company but it is my understanding that the licensing changes and cost was determined by upper management to be not worth it. The only reason I want to upgrade the OS is because our system is on a 5 year old machine with Red Hat 2.1.

I made the mistake of assuming that it would just run under 5.4 before I checked but typically there are resourceful people that do get things to work like this. Like in an earlier post, i guess thhis is one of those 1% situations.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It would only cost a lot if management has foolishly chosen to not pay annual maintenance and now needs to pay back maintenance plus penalties. If maintenance is current then there is no cost or fee to upgrade. Otherwise version 10 licenses are actually generally cheaper than version 9.

In any event... several reasonable possibilities are given above by Cecil and NewB. They might even work, it is unclear if sunnyleung actually tried any of them (I get the sense that he has not). I personally don't have those exact versions of things to try it with so I cannot say although I know that similar approaches have worked for me from time to time. There are also some tricks that you can try such as:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

But, obviously, trying to get an ancient, unsupported and obsolete release running on a platform that it isn't certified for it is going to be challenging.

doom1701

Yes, we're stuck on 9.1D but can upgrade our OS because the OS was a mere $350. The person who did the Progress upgrade research is no longer with our company but it is my understanding that the licensing changes and cost was determined by upper management to be not worth it. The only reason I want to upgrade the OS is because our system is on a 5 year old machine with Red Hat 2.1.

I made the mistake of assuming that it would just run under 5.4 before I checked but typically there are resourceful people that do get things to work like this. Like in an earlier post, i guess thhis is one of those 1% situations.

A Red Hat subscription gives you install rights to any previous version--if you're dead set on getting something newer than v2.1, just start going backwards. Install 4.x, see if it runs. Install 3.x, see if it runs.

With pretty much every Progress install I've seen (running a few different ERP systems--don't have experience with just installing Progress to be a general DB server), the server is ultimately an appliance that just sits and runs Progress happily. If the older OS version lets the application install and run happily, then there's little reason to upgrade.

(Red Hat AS4 user here, with no desire to go to v5)

onire

hi..
i'm facing the same problem
I installed Linux red hat enterprise 5.3 and Java 1_4_2_19
when i tried to run the proinst, the same error message is showed up.
my question, how can i create the symbolic link so i can make this error 'GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference' fixed

plis advice
regards

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Maybe you will get it to work. But this really isn't the way to go. As previous posts suggested upgrading is much much more easy then trying to achieve what you want to do now. Even if you succeed, which might be possible, then you are still not sure what 'hidden' problems you run into. 9.1D is some 10 years old. Do you also spend time to try to get word perfect running under windows 7 or do you maybe think there are better options now a day?
Remember that you are dealing with data which supposedly is of importance to people. The value of the data is most likely many times more then the costs to upgrade.
So if you care about your customers and your bussiness either upgrade to a recent release of OE (10.2A or 10.2B) or downgrade your redhad to RH EL 4 and upgrade to 9.1E.

And btw the answer to the title of this thread is: NO.

Regards,

Casper.