Import Progress Database into SQl server(or Access)

jung1975

Does anyone can tell me what's the best way to import the progress database into MS-Access or SQl sever database?

Any tips will be appreciated it...

Thanks
John

U

Unregistered

I currently use progress to read & write to SQL 2000 Database and use progresses SQL Server7 Enterprize Edition.

If there is a large amout of data you want to import, I would write a program that puts the information into a text file in CSV format. Then use the SQL Enterprize Manager to import the informating into whatever tables you want. The SQL Enterprize Manager is very easy to use.

Good Luck,
Wayne

rjilis

Hi;
i sugest you to use the DTS (Data Transormation Services) to import data from a Progress database to Sql Server Database; it's a kind of agents that can be programmes autoamticly to perform the import of data and they can perform also transormation on data such as name of fields or lenght or any kind of tansoformation . i think it's very usefull

Fabrice

Hi,

You may use the Progress SQL Server DataServer license in order to migrate the Progress database to MS SQL Server.

In 9.1C, you can also dump a table definition as CREATE TABLE statement and select the SQL-Flavor (PROGRESS, ORACLE or SQL Server) from the Data Administration tool.

However I think the Data Transformation Services tool is easier.
You'll need an ODBC driver in order to access the Progress db from SQL Server.

For migrating a Progress database to MS Access, you can also use the ActiveX automation (ex OLE).
One of the Kbase requires an ODBC driver to achieve it as well. There are 2 knowledge bases (19442 and 20840) on the Progress web site.

Hope this helps.

Fabrice

RichardThorp

I have some sample code posting directly into Access from progress using the 4GL.

It is slow though! And it gets really slow if you nest for eaches.

For example, a bit of code that does (for example)

for each customer:
for each order of customer:

run accessexport.p

end.
end.

Took 26 hours on our 150 MB database (obviously different table names).

However,

a for each customer:
run create_csv_of_recids.p
run accessexport.p.
end.
input from csv_of_recids.
set keyfield.
for each order where order.key = keyfield:
run accessexport.p.
end.

took 5 hours! Go figure.

Anyways, if you want the code, drop me a mail.

richardt@grampian-software.co.uk