HPT370 Help on BX133 RAID

Dennis

I have two BX133 Raid motherboards as well as a BX6-2 and they are very reliable.

I purchased my two BX133 Raid boards because I have lots of hard drives around and of course the RAID option of the 370 controller lets you use 4 high performance drives plus the regular ATA33 will suffice for other older drives and cdrom drives.

I had two drives in my system that were a ATA66 and ATA100 drive so I connected the 80 pin ribbon cable to the High Point IDE Primary and Secondary. One drive was on the IDE Master and the other on the Secondary Master. - - On booting up I entered CTRL H which allows you to enter information and settings of the drives. They were correctly indentified as UDMA4 and UDMA5 speed drives. I set the same drive for the boot drive on the 370 connector as I had on the original IDE connectors.

When going to windows and testing the drives were not performing with the UDMA settings and I get no HighPoint ATA driver showing in the device manager where it is supposed to under SCSI drives which is where you set up the driver.

My question is. Do you have to create a RAID configuration before you can use the HighPoint ATA 100 and have it enabled in Win98 ? I run Win98SE and obviously windows is booting properly from the HighPoint controller, and the bios says UDMA 4 and UDMA 5, but it isn't xferring or working at these ATA speeds in Windows. Benchmarks show the drives are way subpar in comparison to other comparable drives in the ATA66 and ATA100 of the same size and rpm.

If Iwere to create a RAID configuration I would lose all of the data on my hard drives and have to re-install all the software. I guess what is bothering me most is I have the bios set up for hard drives booting off of the ATA100 controller which they are and get recognized as such yet I am not getting any recognition of that in windows. I have the HPT utility that came with the motherboard which shows a picture of the HPT Primary and Secondary and what is hooked to them when you run it and shows that nothing is connected to any of these HotPoint connectors.

Any help appreciated.

Dennis

Dennis

For some reason I have a mental block and keep calling the HPT controllers HotPoint instead of HighPoint but disregard that error.

Dennis

Dennis

Well, the HPT370 controller is working just fine, it was my error. You just don't see as well in your mid-fifties as when you were younger. After close inspection I noticed that one of the 80 pin ribbon cables marked with blue was going to one of the hard drives instead of the controller. I reversed it and the controller shows up in the SCSI device manager. I did some benchmarking and the drives are now performing at the new xfer rate and it makes quite a difference.