How do I connect Progress database

mathew

Hi,

I need to connect a remote Progress database, the version is Progress Version 9.1E. There is no progress database in my windows system. Is there any tool for to connect a remote Progress database and querry the tables.

Thanks,
Mathew

jongpau

That depends on the database services running on the other machine. Without knowing more it is hard to say. You *could possibly* connect to it through ODBC or by installing a Progress client on your machine. Either way, you'd need to know the connection parameters, userid and password etc before you could connect to it

mathew

Thanks Jongpau.

I don't have much information about the remote database services (Progress Version 9.1E). I would like to know that, is there any front end tool (like Sql Server Management studio for MS Sql server, or MySQL Query Browser for MySQL) is available for Process database?

Thanks,
Mathew

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If the remote database is being access by Character Clients, then all you need is a telnet client and a login. Then it will depend on the licenses they have available there and the setup. If they have a Query/Report or development license, you could use those to do ABL queries or use the Results report writer.

Otherwise, you need either Client Networking or SQL Client on your own machine for ABL and SQL queries respectively. If you are going the SQL route, it is necessary for the other end to have set us SQL access first. If they are already doing SQL reporting or whatever locally, then piece of cake, otherwise a bit more work.

Given a SQL setup at their end, you can also use things like Crystal Reports.

A lot depends on what they have setup, what you want to do, and what you know.

tossy

I don't have much information about the remote database services (Progress Version 9.1E). but zi would like to share thoughts to connect to a Progress 9.1 Database you first need to licensed copy of the Progress Client. Once the client is installed add the Progress classes file path into the MX7 Jrun instance. If using a developer CFMX make this change to the settings under cfusion. Add a New Classpath example: C:\Program Files\PROGRESS\java; Restart CF instance. Search the System Information page to locate the following files in CF Admin C:\Program Files\PROGRESS\java\jdbc.jar; ... hope this could help you.

mathew

Thank you tossy,

This is very helpful, I'm trying to get into a vpn, to connect the progress database. If I can't connect then I'll try to install the progress webclient.

Thanks for the suport.

Ragards,
Mathew

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you would clarify what kind of connection you are trying to make and what is setup on the other end, we could be more specific.

Your end can be:
* Telnet client
* SQL tool
* Java or .NET client
* Browser

Their end may or may not include:
* SQL enabled
* AppServer
* Sonic (unlikely)

Describing what kind of clients they are using now will tell us something too.

mathew

Thank you Tamhas.

Now I can connect with the progress database by using VPN. I got access to the system and I can login to the progress database.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Ragards,
Mathew