high CPU-Usage & Slow record retrieval

sidero

I am testing a Linux Progress version 8.3B22 on a Intel SUSE 6.3 Server with 128Mb Memory.
I have a database (1.5 Giga) service running on it.

I have noticed 2 things:
1) The CPU-Usage is very high (98%).
2) A performance test programm, with a for each and several finds statements over large tables, takes 4 times as long using the connection to the Linux-Service as compared to a connection to the NT-Service running the same database.

How can reduce the CPU-Usage ?
How can I optimize the connection to the Linux database?

Thank you

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there-

Are you using the native Linux port of Progress? If not, you should order it, it's available for 8.3 and certified for Red Hat. I have heard others also noting the high CPU times with the Linux port as well. I would watch the Progress Patches page for a patch which will hopefully resolve this in the near future.

As far as optimizing the database, please post a little more about your enviroment, startup parameters, and we will see what we might be able to improve to help your performance. Running on Linux should be much faster then NT.

HTH.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

sidero

Thanks Chris!

Patch 8.3B23 for Linux resolves the CPU usage issue! (tested on SUSE Linux 6.3)

The CPU usage is now down to 5-20% when running a routine with heavy Database traffic, and the performance of the Linux Dataserver is now equivalent to that of our existing NT Dataserver.

:) ...Oliver

------------------