Help!!!!!!

mpowell

Can anyone tell me how to create help files for my applications.
Any help would be gratefully recieved
Regards

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
What are your target formats? Windows Help, Compiled HTML, basic HTML, Word DOC? One tool that is very widely used is RoboHelp, it is a bit expensive, but among the best out there.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

mpowell

Thanks for the feedback.
I have created a .hlp file for my application.
When I hang it on my window and run it from a menu option I do a DOS SILENT filename,
this causes the calling window to whiten and make it unavailable until I close the help file.
Any ide on how to run the .hlp and use the progress window at the same time?
I am using version 8.3B (GUI)
Thanks
Regards
Martin

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
You can call your help file directly:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">code:</font><HR><pre>
system-help "helpfile" partial-key "".
system-help "helpfile" context myCode.
[/code]

Syntax:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>
SYSTEM-HELP file-string [WINDOW-NAME window-name]
{FINDER|CONTEXT int-expr|CONTENTS|SET-CONTENTS int-expr|
CONTEXT-POPUP int-expr|KEY string|
PARTIAL-KEY string|MULTIPLE-KEY char TEXT string|
COMMAND string|{POSITION X x Y y WIDTH dx HEIGHT dy|
POSITION MAXIMIZE|FORCE-FILE|HELP|QUIT}
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Parameters:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>
file-string

The file-string parameter is a character expression that specifies the pathname of a file. Help file have a .hlp file extension.

WINDOW-NAME window-name

The window-name parameter is a character expression that evaluates to the primary or secondary window name as defined in the [WINDOWS] section of the help project file. If the window name is omitted, or if "main" is specified, the primary help window is used.

CONTEXT int-expr

Displays the help topic that the context number identifies. You define context numbers in the [MAP] section of the help project file.

The int-expr parameter is the context number for the help topic.

CONTENTS

Displays the help topic defined as the contents in the [OPTIONS] section of the help project file.
PROGRESS supports this option for backward compatibility only.

SET-CONTENTS int-expr

Dynamically re-maps the contents help topic from what is defined in the [OPTIONS] section of the help project file. When a CONTENTS call is made, the new contents help topic is displayed.

The int-expr parameter is the context number for the new contents help topic.

PROGRESS supports this option for backward compatibility only.

FINDER

Displays the Help Topics: Windows Help Topics dialog box, which contains an Index Tab, a Find Tab, and optionally a Contents Tab, with the most recently used tab displayed on top.
If a Contents Tab file (.CNT file) is present when you initially call the Help Topics: Windows Help dialog box, then the Contents Tab displays on top. However, if a .CNT file is not present, then the dialog box displays with the Index Tab on top; the Contents Tab is not available.

CONTEXT-POPUP int-expr

Displays the help topic in a pop-up window that the context number identifies. You define context numbers in the [MAP] section of the help project file.

The int-expr parameter is the context number for the help topic.

KEY string

Displays the help topic matching the string found in the keyword list. If there is more than one match, it displays the first topic containing the keyword. If there is no match or the string is omitted, a message is displayed indicating that the keyword is invalid.

The string parameter is a character expression that evaluates to a keyword for the desired help topic.

PARTIAL-KEY string

Displays the help topic matching the string found in the keyword list. On Windows, if there is more than one match, no match, or if the string is omitted, it displays the Help Topics: Window Help Topics dialog box with the Index Tab on top.

The string parameter is a character expression that evaluates to a partial key for the desired help topic.

MULTIPLE-KEY char TEXT string

Displays the help topic matching a keyword from an alternate keyword table.

The char parameter is a character expression that evaluates to the single character keyword table identifier for the required table.
The string parameter is a character expression that evaluates to the keyword that is located in the keyword table.

COMMAND string

Executes a help macro. For more information about help macros, see the PROGRESS Help Development Guide.

The string parameter is a character expression that evaluates to the help macro to execute.

POSITION X x Y y WIDTH dx HEIGHT dy

Displays and positions the help window as specified.

The x parameter is an integer expression that specifies the x coordinate for the help window.
The y parameter is an integer expression that specifies the y coordinate for the help window.
The dx parameter is an integer expression that specifies the width of the help window.
The dy parameter is an integer expression that specifies the height of the help window.

POSITION MAXIMIZE

Displays and maximizes the help window.

FORCE-FILE

Ensures that the correct help file is open and displayed.

HELP

Displays the contents of the PROGRESS Help-on-Help file. On Windows, HELP displays the Help Topics: Windows Help Topics dialog box.

QUIT

Informs the help application that help is no longer required. If no other applications are using help, the operating system closes the help application.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope this "helps"

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com