Forum Post: Web Services VS App Server's services

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OctavioOlguin

(posted on peg, but is out of services, i guess, temporarily) I'm about to embrace a route in the development of our system, that I think I should have experience in forehand. I have some third party provider that are going to interact with us. this interaction primarily and, perhaps, exclusively, is "To post data in our database" . We need to get some summary data that third party is collecting in behalf of us. Their developer said they had other customers that use that same kind of data, and they have developed web services calls, and app server calls for posting the same data. As I have just to develop the gateway for our system to collect, i'm thinking in the long run, about maintainability, performance and all that.. What is best?: a) develop web services that get the data in datasets, and internally, they scatter the data in our database. b) develop appserver apps. that do the same. The speed at which we expect to be called, either method, is something 20 datasets by minute at first, and something like 200 a minute, at full capacity for some two hours a day,and rest of working hours drop significantly the throughput perhaps to 1/10th of that . each dataset could be something like 6 to 10 records (total, head and detail) of regular size, nothing out of a small league... What would be, in your experience, the most profitable solution for my employer, in terms of my work (salary), the maintainability, the machine to hold the interaction, and perhaps something I can't see yet. Is Rest technology somewhere in my future? . Hope to get some old sea wolf's advice. Greetings! Jorge Olguin

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.