Forum Post: RE: Client network performance with a join

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marko Myllymäki

I have also struggled with client/server performance issues and logged enhancement requests for better networking performance, stored procedures and real database triggers among others: community.progress.com/.../add_server-side_joins__better_networking_performance.aspx community.progress.com/.../real_database_triggers_and_stored_procedures_abl.aspx I have also talked directly with Progress people trying to convince them to implement these things but they have not given me much hope. I always get the same answer: use AppServer. In our case with a large existing application, it is practically impossible to make it fully AppServer-enabled. And another fact is that most of our customers are small or medium sized companies, for them the additional cost of AppServer is often too much. If we can't get better client/server performance without AppServer, I think we should at least have an easier way to adopt AppServer. Ideally, programs would be AppServer-enabled without changing code. So, when you have "for each customer, each order of customer" in your code, the client automatically sends the query to AppServer (if it's available) and gets resulting data in a temp-table/prodataset.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.