Extracting DB References / Functions

lee_shelton

Has anyone used the xref compile feature to load into a database to show programs that access/update db fields?

We have an application (8.2c/SCO Unix) that will be re-written and I wanted to read in the source to a database that stored the basics: Table/ Field names, search / update / access functions, maybe even store the math/boolean operations.

Then I saw the output from xref compile. Looks pretty much like a good start, but I'm not sure how to translate all of it. I have the online / hard copy docs but I don't see a breakdown of the specifics.

That way, we could get a 'head-start' by saving some of the 'useful' business logic; and then convert this up into some 'design' documents.

It's all got to be re-typed anyway in whatever language is decided upon.

Thanks

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lee-

The XREF compile output is an excellent source for analizing an application, the program structure, where tables/fields are created/updated/deleted, etc. The output itself isn't very helpful unless you have a database to load the XREF information into and reports that can be run. Of course you could roll your own, but this would take a good amount of time to develop.

I would recommend that you take a look at Roundtable TSMS. You can load your database schema and source code, have it compile and cross referance everything, and it has a number of reports you can run to get the information you are looking for.

They have a full and lite version available. For more information, feel free to take a look at http://www.roundtable-tsms.com/

HTH.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Lee-

I just wanted to let you know that Matt Verrinder (mtv@enterprise.net) just sent me a great Progress program that will analyize XREF output. You can download it from http://www.fast4gl.com/tools.html

HTH.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com