Question Excel Export as Text

Phillip

Hi All, I need help with an Excel Export. I'm trying to export a column as text. I need FedEx shipping numbers in the column which have a leading "0" that excel keeps deleting when opened. I used to export as a .dat file, format that column as text, and then save as an excel worksheet. I want to have it automatically format as text so that I can eventually have our website grab from that file at a specific time with no user input.​
Here's the code. Everything runs off fine except that I want that column formatted as text. I changed the runoffs to "INFORMATION#" as they are long lines of IF commands to run off my fields. The one in question is in bold:​
DEF VAR vchExcel AS COM-HANDLE NO-UNDO.
DEF VAR vchWorkBook AS COM-HANDLE NO-UNDO.
DEF VAR vchWorkSheet AS COM-HANDLE NO-UNDO.
DEF VAR vRow AS INT NO-UNDO.
CREATE "Excel.Application":U vchExcel.

ASSIGN
vchExcel:VISIBLE = false
vchWorkBook = vchExcel:WorkBooks:ADD()
vchWorkSheet = vchExcel:Sheets:ITEM(1).

FOR EACH tracknum WHERE ord-num BEGINS "W" AND s-date = TODAY - 1 AND track-ref > "0" NO-LOCK:
ASSIGN
vRow = vRow + 1
vchWorkSheet:Range("A":U + STRING(vRow)):VALUE = INFORMATION1
vchWorkSheet:Range("B":U + STRING(vRow)):VALUE = INFORMATION2
vchWorkSheet:Range("C":U + STRING(vRow)):VALUE = INFORMATION3
vchWorkSheet:Range("D":U + STRING(vRow)):VALUE = IF gcustom.tracknum.track-ref > "0" THEN gcustom.tracknum.track-ref ELSE ""
vchWorkSheet:Range("E":U + STRING(vRow)):VALUE = INFORMATION5.
END.

vchWorkBook:SaveAs("\\nas\company\IT\WebTracking\TODAY.xls",,,,,,,).

/* RELEASE OBJECT vchWorkSheet. */
/* RELEASE OBJECT vchWorkBook. */
/* RELEASE OBJECT vchExcel. */

vchWorkBook:CLOSE.
RELEASE OBJECT vchWorkSheet.
RELEASE OBJECT vchWorkBook.
vchExcel:QUIT.
RELEASE OBJECT vchExcel.
thank you for the help in advance.​

Stefan

Does adding a single quote, to indicate text help?

If not, a relatively easy way to have full control over your data types, is to create the Excel sheet in Excel XML 2003 format. For getting started save a simple sheet in this format and keep removing optional data while checking if the sheet still opens properly. The format is documented on msdn.

Phillip

I got it with this code:

vchWorksheet:COLUMNS("D:D"):NumberFormat = "@".

The single quote worked but it still keeps that as a value in the table. When I push the excel table to our web server it would display the tracking numbers as '########. The above quote formatted it so that it would display leading 0s.

Suga

Hi All,

I have a similar problem in exporting to Excel as a Text. When I export the database field value to excel column, it drops the leading 0's which I really need for using of another import program.

I tried it with using STRING function to make the variable to be String before it goes to export.

It did not work :(

Is there any other way to export with leading 0s.

Desperate !!!!

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Suga

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I suspect you are actually exporting to csv, not to excel. Excel deals badly with csv files and you lose the leading 0. Don't use Excel to open csv files.