Debugging in a CHUI

grinder

Hello there,

once again I need a little help from you.
First of all: Is it even possible to debug an application that runs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) in a ChUI? If not, thread closed ^^

The frontend of the app I want to debug is displayed via TeraTerm, Progress runs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago), so I think it isn't possible to debug on the WIN-client.

If this is possible, how do I do this?
After I added -debug in the startup.pf in DLC-folder I got the message 11724 (Progress 4GL is not enabled for debugging).
So I started proenv as root and started proDebugEnable -enable-all
When I start the app now it just freezes and on CRTL-C I get the error 11632 (While waiting for a connection from the Debugger, a timeout occurred or you have interrupted the wait) and 2997 (Could not start up Progress Debugger).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Can you use "-debugalert", or is that not going to work?

grinder

I tried -debugalert 1 and got error 301, wrong argument. Didn't try without 1. The app starts now. Thanks.
But when I try to debug now, the window freezes again and on CTRL-C I get the error 4106 (Unable to startup PROGRESS Debugger)

Is this because the app runs on a Linux-Server and I only have the "display" in my TeraTerm on a Windows-Client?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
-debugalert will just provide you with stack traces on error messages (extra button displayed). It won't make any difference to the debugger.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
This is possible. This doesn't involve using "-debugalert" in your client or modifying startup.pf.

The proDebugEnable -enable-all command enables your DLC installation for debugging.

In Unix this sets a key-value pair in /etc/ProDbgCk to say "<DLC dir>=Debugging enabled". In Windows it sets a registry value;
32-bit: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PSC\PROGRESS\ProDbgCk; "<DLC dir>="Debugging enabled"
64-bit: HKLM\SOFTWARE\PSC\PROGRESS\ProDbgCk; "<DLC dir>="Debugging enabled"

This just creates the possibility to debug an ABL session. To debug a session, use the proDebugConfig command:
proDebugConfig [<pid>]
Without a PID, it will give you a list of processes and PIDs for this DLC and let you enter one. With a PID, it will give you a port number to use to attach to that process. E.g.:
Code:
==============================================================================
                        PROGRESS Debug Configuration Tool
==============================================================================

Process 2834 is now ready for debugging.
Use port 9999 for the Debugger to connect to.
Then, in the standalone debugger, select Debug | Attach to Process..., select Attach to debug-ready Process, and enter the hostname and port number (the port number provided in the proDebugConfig output).

Last edited:

grinder

Fantastic, this works really great.
The only thing I had to do in addition is to connect the unix-file system (where the r-files are) to Win via SMB share.
After that I set the SMB-path in the Debugger under Edit -> Preferences -> Attachable

Thanks again to you all and have a great weekend, cheers!