DB size , and extent size

dsspen

hi,

May i know what is the meaning of db extent size? Is it database size or bi size?

I read through some threads on this subject. There are few things which i do not understand.

1. If db block size is 8192, then the max db size is 256GB
2. I also see that if the db size reaches 2GB, then it will crash.
3. Or is it only when the bi size reaches 2GB then it will crash.

Does it mean that when the db reaches 2GB, it will NOT crash becos the max is 256GB? Or it WILL crash as it reached 2GB?

What exactly is the terminology? Anyone can advise?

This is becos my .db has almost reached 2G but my bi file is only 2MB. I do a proutil truncate bi every nite.

Can anyone also help to advise on highwater mark level?

Progress 8.3D Sun Solaris 7.

Database version number: 8275
Database state: Open (1)
Database damaged flags: None (0)
Integrity flags: None (0)
Database block size (bytes): 8192
Total number of database blocks: 233536
Database blocks high water mark: 233527
Free blocks below highwater mark: 0
Record blocks with free space: 45
Before image block size (bytes): 8192
Before image cluster size (kb): 512
After image block size (bytes): 8192
Last transaction number: 48671810
Highest file number defined: 516
Database Character Set: iso8859-1
Database Collation Name: basic
Database created (multi-volume): - -

Thanks.

bendaluz2

Databases come in two flavours, Single volume and multi volume.
A single volume database comes in one file, *.db, which can have a maximum size of 2GB. A multi volume database is made up of many files, each of which can be up to a maximum size of 2GB. There is still a .db file, which contains the location of the other files (extents) and the other files are .d1, .d2, .d3 ..... A bi file can also have extents. The extent size is simply the size of each of these files that the database / bi file is divided up into. The database and bi file are made up of blocks, and due to the size of pointer used to store addresses, there is a maximum number of blocks available. Therefore, the block size determines the maximum database size. If a variable database extent or bi extent reaches 2GB, the database will crash. If the database is defined with many extents, when one is full the database will simply start filling the next one, until the last is reached, when this is full, the database will crash. The database high water mark is the highest database block number to be used so far, and can be a good indicator of how full the database is, depending on how transitory the data is

Hope this helps :)