Database editor startup issue

jgress

I tried to set up a test database editor icon. I know the test database exists and I can run it but it does not exit to the editor. So I created a different one to just get into the edit. But I am getting the following errors:

** “adecomm\adestds.I” was not found. (293)
** C:\Progress\OpenEdge\src\_edit.p Could not understand line 32. (193)
** Unknown field or variable name - initialized_adestds. (201)
** C:\Progress\OpenEdge\src\_edit.p Could not understand line 40. (198)

Sound like a propath issue but I'm not sure. Has anyone ever gotten this before and, if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I tried to set up a test database editor icon.
I assume "icon" means "shortcut".

I can run it but it does not exit to the editor.
We don't know the command line configured for "it".

So I created a different one to just get into the edit.
We don't know the command line of the different one.

C:\Progress\OpenEdge\src\_edit.p
I don't understand why you would be running Progress source files. What is your propath?

We also don't know your OpenEdge version or your installed products. You may want to refer to the post linked in my signature on how to get effective help.

jgress

I assume "icon" means "shortcut".

We don't know the command line configured for "it".

We don't know the command line of the different one.

I don't understand why you would be running Progress source files. What is your propath?

We also don't know your OpenEdge version or your installed products. You may want to refer to the post linked in my signature on how to get effective help.
I am in version 10.2b. They had a shortcut set up for the test database but it ran the main program and when you exiting it did not go to the editor so I made a copy of it to give us something that just got into the procedure editor. That's when I got that error. Made no sense - I was just not running the main menu program and expected it to just take me to the editor. If I right-click a file and say open in it procedure editor that works so I'm confused why this did not

Stefan

As Rob mentioned, why are you trying to run _edit.p? Just run _edit (which will run _edit.r), which does not need to compile, so will not fail since you are missing the include files to compile _edit.p.

If for whatever weird reason you really need to run the source version of _edit (_edit.p) you will need to extract the sources from the adecomm.pl - see the first hit when googling
Code:
site:progress.com adecomm\adestds.I

jgress

As Rob mentioned, why are you trying to run _edit.p? Just run _edit (which will run _edit.r), which does not need to compile, so will not fail since you are missing the include files to compile _edit.p.

If for whatever weird reason you really need to run the source version of _edit (_edit.p) you will need to extract the sources from the adecomm.pl - see the first hit when googling
Code:
site:progress.com adecomm\adestds.I
Thank you. I'll check it out. I'm not trying to run the .p or .r, but I expected it to bring the editor up when not running a procedure from the startup. I thought it was weird that I got that error and it looks the live and test both use the same .ini file too and there is very little in the .pf so it is just confusing.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Yes. It is very confusing when someone talks all around a problem but doesn’t show any of the relevant information.

Last edited:

jgress

Yes. It is very confusing when someone talks all around a problem but doesn’t show any of the relevant information.
I went to the directory and just realized that there is no adecomm directory. I don't know why but that would explain why it cannot find this file that it is trying to run. There is a .pl and a file called something like extractpl or something. Maybe the problem is adecomm is in the list of paths but not installed on the machine. How do I create the directory, assuming I need to, and get the proper files in there? Or should I remove adecomm from the path? Seems like either one would work.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You are attempting to devise a solution before the problem has been properly defined. This scattershot approach will just waste your time.

As Tom intimated, there are some blanks you need to fill in. You have spoken in general terms about things that were done or things that don't work as you expect but we don't have the details from you that are needed to help you. In my first post, I said we need to know:
  • the command line of the first shortcut, which didn't work as you expected;
  • the command line of the second shortcut, which didn't work as you expected;
  • why you are trying to run Progress source files;
  • what your propath is;
  • which OpenEdge release is in use;
  • which OpenEdge products are in use.
In your next post, you provided the OpenEdge release.

It's time to start over. Please tell us:
  • What you are attempting to do, from a task perspective;
  • The exact command line you executed to attempt to make that task happen;
  • The exact error message(s) you received or results you observed.