CURRVAL/NEXTVAL - Permission denied

sql92

Hello,

My database includes a table named Customer, which has a sequence that is also named Customer. I'm trying to execute:
SELECT PUB.Customer.CURRVAL FROM PUB.Customer

but getting:
[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]permission denied (7677)

PUB is the database owner. Table updates work fine, without any permission issue.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

sql92

PUB is the database owner and can read and update the Customer table, but PUB.Customer.CURRVAL and PUB.Customer.NEXTVAL fail with "Permission denied".
I'm new to OpenEdge. Do I need a specific privilege to work with sequences?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
"PUB" is the name of the database schema that contains any database objects that are created via ABL aka 4GL, e.g. objects created with the Data Dictionary or Data Administration tools. A Progress database may contain more than one schema, but only one may contain tables visible to ABL users and it is called PUB. Are you saying that you have also created a user called PUB?

What SQL client are you using to connect to the database? How are you providing user credentials in this client? Did you do any security setup (e.g. creating users) in this database prior to connecting?

sql92

What SQL client are you using to connect to the database? How are you providing user credentials in this client?
I use MS SQL with linked server via ODBC that uses username/password authentication. This is the MS SQL statement:

EXEC('SELECT PUB.Customer.CURRVAL FROM PUB.Customer') AT OPENEDGE

Did you do any security setup (e.g. creating users) in this database prior to connecting?
No.

sql92

I suspect "PUB" is not the username you should be using.

PUB user CAN update records in the Customer table. Is there a specific privilege that needs to be granted to use sequences?

sql92

I've tried to execute the same statement from a .NET program connecting via ODBC, and got the same result:

Unhandled Exception: System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [HY000] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]permission denied (7677)