Question Creating Buffer Objects Error

KMoody

Progress: 11.7.5
Server OS: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP1

We're in the middle of upgrading from Progress 10.2b to 11.7.5. In 10.2b, we were sometimes able to run the following, even when "CONNECTED('mffg1')" was false:

Code:
DEFINE VARIABLE hPopupBuffer      AS HANDLE        NO-UNDO.
CREATE BUFFER hPopupBuffer FOR TABLE "mffg1.PASSFILE".

In 11.7.5, this is no longer the case; we now get the following error:
"Could not create buffer object for table mffg1.PASSFILE. (7334)"

Is this expected? Was Progress 10.2b's behavior a bug?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
When I run that code in 10.2B08 with no database connected I get (7334).

We're in the middle of upgrading from Progress 10.2b to 11.7.5. In 10.2b, we were sometimes able to run the following, even when "CONNECTED('mffg1')" was false
Sometimes??

KMoody

Sorry, I should clarify: 10.2B08 seems to allow that code to run in 10.2b at the end of a long call stack:

menu-02: environment_util:connectMFFG1 ->
menu-05a: environment_util:disconnectMFFG1 ->
menu-05: RUN VALUE("msc-21") ->
msc-21: CREATE BUFFER hPopupBuffer FOR TABLE "mffg1.PASSFILE".

Note: environment_util is a static class that handles CONNECT and DISCONNECT statements.

I don't know if this makes things clearer or not. It's very difficult to replicate this behavior in 10.2b.

Last edited:

Stefan

Can you verify that the database is really disconnected in 10.2B when creating the buffer? When you disconnect, the disconnect pends until all persistent procedures that reference the database have gone away.

KMoody

The CONNECTED function indicated that the database was disconnected. I'm not aware of another way to detect database connections in OpenEdge.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I'm not aware of another way to detect database connections in OpenEdge.
You can look at the user list in promon (option 1, sub-option 1) to see connected users from the DB's point of view. This will include users that have requested disconnection but are still cleaning up (e.g. backing out their transaction).