Converting CUI application to GUI

tcondon

Forgive me if this is not the appropriate forum for this question. Our company has had a couple Progress character applications for many years. Our customer base is now contemplating us converting the applications to GUI. The DBs currently run on Progress V8.1 (mostly) on HP Netservers under SCO OpenServer. Users would be accessing the databases via Win9X PCs. My question is, if our applications are converted to GUI interfaces, what Progress version, if any, would be required on the client end. Can the clients connect to SCO via a TCP/IP connection without requiring a Progress runtime and still get the full benefits of the GUI interface? Or would they be better off running the application via local runtime?

Thank you, in advance.

[Edited by tcondon on 21 Oct 2000 at 02:18 PM]

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
The clients would require the Client Networking product. If you stay with the 8.1 databases, you can use any version of Client Networking of version 8.1 through 9.1 (Progress always supports up to one version higher on the client side verus the server). However, I would consider upgrading the database to 9.1 as well, there are many performance enhancements that make it worth while.

-Chris