Chinese Language Support

Abbashatim

Dear all

I would like to store Chinese characters in my database.

I am using windows 7 and Progress ver 9.1A.

I have create database using utf-8 (empty database).
cpinternal = GB2312
cpstream = GB2312
cpcoll = Basic

I have installed fonts NSimsun.
amended ini file to change
default fonts as Nsimsun
I have installed simplied Chinese keyboard support.
I still cannot display or Chinese characters on the screen when I use procedure editor or any programs in progress.

But when I enter Chinese characters in Excel. I can display it and I can print it.

I created an excel file with Chinese characters. Then I tried to load from this excel file .
After loading into the table I tried to display using procedure editor on the screen. It display ?.

I do not seem to store data in Chinese characters or even if data is stored I cannot display them.
Can someone please help .
I need help urgently.

Thanks
abbas

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I can't help you with Chinese characters, but I can make an observation that using Progress 9.1A for a new database is a very bad idea. It is an ancient and unsupported version of Progress. You'd be better off downloading the 11.6 free classroom edition if all you're doing is playing around. If you are developing an application then do yourself a favour and get an up to date version of Progress to start with.

RealHeavyDude

In order to store chinese and western characters in a database it must use code page utf-8. As far as I know the full support of utf-8 was added somewhere around 9.1C or 9.1D some 15 years ago. I doubt that your version of Progress does support utf-8. In versions before that the support of utf-8 was not really functional.

You should upgrade anyway for obvious reasons - better soon than later.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
imho, i don't see the big urgency to upgrade (yes, even if it's older by 2 major versions) unless you need a specific features, including performance improvements etc.

of course it's ideal to keep an uptodate version but there are companies who are no longer paying for support and rebuying their licenses is a big expense for some companies.

there is the matter of support but i've been using progress for about 20 years with big and small companies and i've never once called tech support.

and if you don't have a working backup and you lose your data or some emergency happens, it won't matter if you're paying for maintenance support.

just my 2 cents, don't kill me.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I agree to a point regarding legacy applications, but he is talking about creating a database, it's therefore a new application, one would assume. 9.1A was released in 1999. You wouldn't develop a new Java application in Java 1.2 would you?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
i also agree but it's definitely something to consider if purchasing new licenses can cost a couple hundred thousand dollars or more.

for example: if you had a web ui using a javascript framework, you could use webspeed 9.1a to write a restful webservice (i believe xml dom was available back then) with probably similar capabilities and perfomance to 11.6, or at least adequate.

i would prefer a web ui and recommend using webspeed and not the rest adapter.

Last edited:

Abbashatim

Thanks for your suggestion to upgrade.

I am now using OE 10.2B . I created empty database from utf.
my startup.pf
-cpinternal = cp936
-cpstream = cp936
-cpcoll = basic
-cpcase = basic

I have no problem entering Chinese characters storing these characters.
when I use procedure editor I can display these characters.

Now the problem is that when I export Chinese data to Excel, Excel does not display Chinese characters.

I tried to set registry for excel options of defaultcpg = 1386.

In the same manner I cannot load chinese data from excel to Progress.

Is there anyway someone can help me how to export the data from progress to excel and show it in chines characters.

If I use excel to enter Chinese characters it has no problem. I can store them and print them.

But the problem is that Excel and Progrees cannot transfer data back-and-forth.

Thanks in advance

abbas