Character User Interfaces / Exporting

emtgdkr

We have several character file exports programs ( Procedures) (*.P's) that have been compiled (*.r's). We are calling these from a batch file and they were running fine until a few days ago's. At the end of the program we have a quit in there so that we exit progress completely. Now we are experiencing format errors that are now causing the main progress window/frame to pop up. and remain open and disregard the quit that is in the program so the window and progress is not shutting down automatically causing our processes to hang. We do not care about the errors that are being displayed in the status bar ("Value 999 cannot displayed using format zz.999") . We are looking for a way to either suppress the window if there are error messages or shut down window automatically , instead of manually by "Pressing the spacebar"

Attachments

• cisinterface.p
    37.6 KB · Views: 15
Hello,

On my practice is better to kill the reason instead of the sympthom. Therefore if you know the field should change the format to the good one. If it's not possible - because fi. the output file structure is fixed try to redirect your terminal messages to a separate file, like this:
(I suppose that this error is in the PUT statement.)

OUTPUT TO ErrorMsg.Txt NO-ECHO.
_OUTPUT STREAM ... (your original output block)
_OUTPUT STREAM CLOSE.
OUTPUT CLOSE.

I hope it will helps.

Regards,
Istvan

emtgdkr

We tried this but , It sent the error messages to the data file we are creating the output stream to command.

Samj

Put the KEEP-MESSAGES on the OUTPUT TO phrase, not the OUTPUT TO STREAM phrase.

ie:
OUTPUT TO errmsg.txt KEEP-MESSAGES NO-ECHO.

Then the the error messages should go to the text file.

OUTPUT TO should take the default stream from the display terminal to the text file.

emtgdkr

In your example I still have a couple of questions. When your sending the errors/warning messages to the ouput to (errormsg.txt) for example do you need to define this txt file first in the procedure? Second, would I need to have this output to statement in the export-data procedure that contains the put statement that puts all the fields out to the stream file or does it really not matter where it goes in the main procedure as long as it is before the export-data procedure?

Thanks

Samj

Hi,

No, you don't need to define the output to text file. The OUTPUT TO statement is defining it, or I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, it's redirecting the output from the terminal to the named output file. I would put it in the code before any find, for, assign or put/display statement that could possibly return an error.

U

Unregistered

alternatively, you could just do this in your batch file

%dlcbin%\prowin23.exe -b -p <procedure> > %log_file%

NickA

That works?!?

> alternatively, you could just do this in your batch file
>
> %dlcbin%\prowin23.exe -b -p > %log_file%

I could see it working on the character client on Unix or something, but surely that's never going to work from a shortcut on a GUI client?

Out of vague interest I tried it, but all I get is '** Could not recognize argument: >. (301)'

Never heard of 23 bit progress neither! :D

Samj

Yeah sure it works. You just need to supply a <filename.p> for the -p parameter.

%dlcbin%\prowin32.exe -b -p <filename.p> > %log_file%

The >> 'append' should even add to the existing file.

Samj

hmmm,

The board removes text enclosed between less than and greater than symbols.

%dlcbin%\prowin32.exe -b -p startup.p > %log_file%