can't connect!

sgeunes

i am serving a progress db on a networked windows NT 4.0 PC. i can not remotely connect to this served DB even from the same PC. i am running progress 9.1B and trying to connect with the same version. it appears that everything is served correctly. i can ping the machine. the service name is associated with the same port on client and host. i can connect from the same PC if i use localhost as the hostname, but not if i use the actual PC name, which is what i need. i can't even telnet <hostname> <servicename> to the DB service from the same PC. what gives?

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Shane-

Do you have Workgroup or Enterprise database installed on this PC? If not, you can't make remote connections to that database.

U

Unregistered

Chris,
i thought a complete installation of Provision would give you all that you needed to serve client connections. this isn't the case? before reading your suggestion, i was thinking maybe the port numbers on my PC that i was choosing to serve on needed to be 'opened' up for listening by the network admin or proxy admin. i could be wrong here. I'll check into your lead. I appreciate it!

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
No Provision includes a Personal Database, which allows for local connections to the database, but it doesn't allow for remote connections.

U

Unregistered

Chris -
i'm going to see if this will take care of the issue...it looks like that very well may be my problem. if it works, i'll have to treat you to lunch some time for saving me from further nightmares!