Cannot Start AdminService

ClayGoss

On a workstation - Windows XP - we have a test OE 10.1A db.

If I reboot the box, the AdminService appears to be runing, but ProgressExplorer cannot connect to the server declaring "Cannot connect to the Admin Server. Ensure the Admin Server is running. (8336)" If I go to Services and try to restart the AdminService, I get the message, "The AdminService for OpenEdge 10.1A service on Local Computer started and then stopped." In the Application EventLog, I find an event labeled AdmService_PROGRESS for the start of the AdminService follow by three jvmStart events with the same time stamp and Descritions as follows:

The description for Event ID ( 100 ) in Source ( jvmStart ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: processid 664

The description for Event ID ( 100 ) in Source ( jvmStart ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Successfully started

The description for Event ID ( 100 ) in Source ( jvmStart ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: completed

Then the event showing the AdminService has stopped a second later.

The OA 10.1A db is the only db on the box. It is using the default 20931 port. This problem has come and gone in the past - reboots have from time to time gotten the AdminService talking. Deleting the "server" from ProgressExplorer and putting it back in has sometimes gotten it going. But none of those seem to work anymore.

The db is running, I can connect using the Progress 4GL verdor application. I can query the dB using ODBC. I can go into "Disconnect Users" and see user in the system. Just cannot do ProgressExplorer.

Any ideas?

lloydt

We've run into that here on 91e04 and found that progress needs to be installed as the administrator user, not a user with admin rights. After doing that, it fixed that problem on 2003 and xp. I'm assuming the same holds true for oe10+.

a workaround if you don't want to reinstall is to disable the admsrv service, open a proenv session and start the admin server via command line 'proadsv start'. you will need to keep this window open in order to access the admin server. Although if you close it and a db was started, the db will most likely keep running, but no such luck for appservers or anything that hits the name server. Going on old memories, may not be all that accurate.

Regards
--LT

ClayGoss

When you say "administrator", do you mean the local "administrator" or the "domain administrator"? I ask, because our production server was installed as the "domain administrator" on WS2k3 R2 and this has never been an issue.

As a mater of fact, the local "administrator" has "never" logged into this box, it was configured with a generic, get stated user, put on the domain and from there....

mnowak

I have run into this to and you need to be local admin from my experience.
There is another work around I used in 9.1E04 and this is.

1 Stop the Admin services
2 Remove the two java processes in task manager. Wait till the admin services come completely down before doing this.
3 restart the Admin services.

Also make sure the java dll file in the system32 directory has a recent date.