Can Replication Trigger update field when Write Trigger unavailable ?

epicorsupport

Hi,

Best Holiday Wishes to All ,

Wondering if I can use Replication Triggers to update a Date field on a Update transaction. Not clear from research if the buffer from the Update Transaction is available to the scope of the Replication trigger. Due to commercial software using the traditional write trigger for internal transaction processing as part of the update transaction, they are not available to me. Those triggers are all in complied R code, so I cannot combine. I cannot perform my own update transaction as that would kick off the applications write triggers. The replication trigger, if I understood the posts I have read correctly, is isolated from the write triggers so that would not happen if using them. But am unsure if the Update transaction buffer is available to the scope of the Replication trigger before it is committed.

Am trying to tag a record with a date whenever it is changed so I can pull them for later report process. Need to identify when the record was last changed. Using the Replication trigger as designed to write off the transaction for replication seems overkill for the simple record tag am trying to accomplish. And adding tables to the software database is greatly frowned upon.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this are very welcome as I might be missing a more obvious solution.

thanks...

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Am trying to tag a record with a date whenever it is changed so I can pull them for later report process. Need to identify when the record was last changed.
It depends on your version. In 11.7+, you could use CDC to know when records change, provided it isn't already being used for some other purpose. Note that it requires an add-on license.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
As for your original question...

The documentation does not appear to forbid it. OTOH it was hard to find any documentation at all regarding replication write triggers ;)

A quick test ought to pretty easily show if it is possible.