can i recover deleted record ?

mosfin

as i recall, there was a way in old DBMS systems (like DBASE & FoxPro)
to recover deleted record/s, as they were only 'marked' for deletion with the delete command, until removed entirely with zap command..

is there similar/different way to recover deleted record in Progress/ABL ?
i mean w/o adding trigger for delete in the application (for saving recently deleted records)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
No.

If you are using after-imaging you could, however, restore and roll forward to just before the delete and then export the data prior to deletion.

RealHeavyDude

There are several options but none of them is automatically there - you need to roll your own. As soon as a record is deleted from the database table in the database there is no way to recover it because Progress does not provide a mechanism for it. Even with after image you can not pick exactly one transaction out of sequence to be rolled forward - they will always be rolled forward sequentially until the transaction number or a time stamp is reached, probably rolling forward things that you don't want to be in your database.

The auditing service of the database could be used to implement such a thing if you set up an audit policy accordingly. Or, you introduce your own audit tables which store information about deleted records that allows you to recover them.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.