Error **Attempt to update path of the frozen schema(486)

phamthanhnhan14

Hi guy,
I'm using progress openedge with oracle database. When I try to connect oracle database schema, it's getting an error.
3031192601_893527991_574_574.jpg

3031192603_492644236_574_574.jpg

Fact: Progress OpenEdge 10.2 B7, oralce database 10R2, windows server 2003.

Any help?

phamthanhnhan14

I don't know how it's frozen.
I updated my progress version from 10.0 SP5 to 10.2 SP7, and saw this errors when I connect to it again.
Using the ProKB to check this error, I saw:
10418273_1494679420746502_1480955659466948749_n.jpg

Any help?
Thank alot :)
Regards,
Nhan

phamthanhnhan14

The solution is in my post above.
Sorry, you mean "
If you use the data dictionary and look at the definitions of a few
files/fields/indices you will note there is a way to 'freeze' the
definitions.

This is to prevent end-users from shooting themselves in the foot by
re-defining a file/field/index.

In order to change the schema, first connect to the database and:

for each _file exclusive:
_file.?????? = no. <-- I don't remember the name of the field,
end. don't have access to Progress. Freeze? Froze?
_freeze? _froze?
for each _field . . . .

for each _index . . . ."
Is this solution?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The use of _frozen allows you to prevent unintended schema changes. Do you actually know what process is attempting to change your schema, what code it is running, and what the schema change(s) will be if you allow it to make changes?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
BTW, with a move from 10.0?05 to 10.2B07 (why not SP08?), you should be running proutil updateschema and proutil updatevst as there are several changes to the meta-schema you won't be able to take advantage of until you do.

phamthanhnhan14

BTW, with a move from 10.0?05 to 10.2B07 (why not SP08?), you should be running proutil updateschema and proutil updatevst as there are several changes to the meta-schema you won't be able to take advantage of until you do.
Hi Rob,
Thank for your help, but I don't know how to run proutil to updateschema and updatevst? Any specific steps to do that?
I'm a beginner.
Regards,
Nhan

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hi Nhan,

First, please obtain and read the Progress documentation. You can find it here. Download the PDF set for version 10.2B. Read the Database Administration manual and within the Reference section at the end of the manual you will find a section on the proutil command. In there you will find the required information on the updateschema qualifier and the updatevst qualifier.

Please understand that these commands must be run when the database is offline and that they modify your database; exercise due caution. It is imperative that before you attempt to run them you take a full backup of your database (with the probkup command) and then restore that backup (with the prorest command) in another location and then open the restored database to ensure you have a valid backup file. When backing up your database you should also ensure that you have a copy of the database structure file (dbname.st, where "dbname" is the name of your database), which is located in the same directory as the database control area (dbname.db). To ensure that the structure file is up to date, first run the prostrct list command. These commands above are also documented in the Database Administration manual.

I want to be clear that you are not required to run these proutil commands before using your database with OpenEdge 10.2B. I am just stating that your meta-schema will be slightly out of date until they are run, but this is only an issue if you run ABL code that relies on the newer version of the meta-schema, e.g. if it references system tables or fields your database doesn't have yet.

Note: it appears you are using the Progress DataServer product. I don't have experience with this product. Given that you are a beginner you should consult with someone who does (perferably your software vendor or Progress Tech Support) before attempting to proceed with the above. Are you the DBA in charge of this database?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
One other thing: due to architectural changes made between versions 10.1A and 10.1B (including a change from 32-bit to 64-bit ROWIDs), a one-time change to your database will be required. This is implications for backward compatibility which will be important if you ever want to open the database again under 10.0x. You should research and understand the implications of making this change and have a back-out plan. Also, you should run make such changes in an environment you care about (development, test, production, etc.) until you have tested it first and taken the appropriate precautions.

For a start, read these KB articles:

Summary of compatibility rules for 10.1B and earlier OpenEdge versions.
http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P120084/p

How to upgrade a version 10.1x database to 10.2x
http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P131772/p

Since you are a beginner, I suggest you have your vendor or someone in your organization who is more experienced make the required changes, while you observe. This is a good learning opportunity for you but it is best done by someone with more experience. Remember to take backups before making changes, and to test your backups. A backup is just a hope until you test it.

phamthanhnhan14

Please understand that these commands must be run when the database is offline and that they modify your database; exercise due caution. It is imperative that before you attempt to run them you take a full backup of your database (with the probkup command) and then restore that backup (with the prorest command) in another location and then open the restored database to ensure you have a valid backup file. When backing up your database you should also ensure that you have a copy of the database structure file (dbname.st, where "dbname" is the name of your database), which is located in the same directory as the database control area (dbname.db). To ensure that the structure file is up to date, first run the prostrct list command. These commands above are also documented in the Database Administration manual.
Thank a lot, I have this guide any try to read it. I have used probkup and prorest to backup and restore my database.
I want to be clear that you are not required to run these proutil commands before using your database with OpenEdge 10.2B. I am just stating that your meta-schema will be slightly out of date until they are run, but this is only an issue if you run ABL code that relies on the newer version of the meta-schema, e.g. if it references system tables or fields your database doesn't have yet.
I'm update from OE 10.0 to 10.2, so, this is elder version to run with 10.2B.
Note: it appears you are using the Progress DataServer product. I don't have experience with this product. Given that you are a beginner you should consult with someone who does (perferably your software vendor or Progress Tech Support) before attempting to proceed with the above. Are you the DBA in charge of this database?
I'm a new QAD supporter and working in this case.
Sorry about my poor english.
I will try to resolve this problems and talk you soon.
Regard,
Nhan

phamthanhnhan14

For a start, read these KB articles:

Summary of compatibility rules for 10.1B and earlier OpenEdge versions.
http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P120084/p

How to upgrade a version 10.1x database to 10.2x
http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P131772/p

Since you are a beginner, I suggest you have your vendor or someone in your organization who is more experienced make the required changes, while you observe. This is a good learning opportunity for you but it is best done by someone with more experience. Remember to take backups before making changes, and to test your backups. A backup is just a hope until you test it.
I'm using this way to update:
1. Shutdown the oe 10.0 database
2. Stop oe 10.0 services
3. Install new oe 10.2B
4. Change the enviroment , DLC, PATH
5. Run the command to truncate bi file
6. Connect again to it: has this error.
Thanks.

vinhng

Nhân,

Do you got the same error or diffirently error msg? If yes, pls capture your msg in here.
Other, how do you change env,dlc,path on windows with new OE version?

Thanks