ASP and ODBC (Gasp!)

fdumlao

Not that we necessarily want to, but it looks like we are going to be using ASP to "dump" data into our Progress 9.1d database!

The idea is to connect to the database via ODBC, and create new records and get out. No data should be retrieved.

I have read through about 20 posts that mention this kind of activity, but no clear answer has been given to my primary question:

Will our field rules and write triggers be executed when we create records in the database via ODBC?

Frankly, this process is frightening enough, having data being written to the database from outside our primary application, and I AM WORRIED!:errr:

Are there any other "GOTCHAS" or pitfalls you can give me a heads up on too?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi there,

Will our field rules and write triggers be executed when we create records in the database via ODBC?

No, if you create/update records with sql then the (4GL) database triggers won't fire.

Why not dump with sql the records from that database to a file and load that in your progress database? (using 4GL). (Don't know how much records there are and if this is a one time action or this should happen periodically....).

If this should happen periodically then maybe it's worth while to look at java stored procedures to write database triggers for sql-92 clients.....

KB P27255: http://tinyurl.com/d6kf9

Regards,

Casper.

fdumlao

Thanks Casper.

With that in mind I think we are going to use a different solution. I have a web interface where loan officers are reviewing information that was entered by potential loan customers. After the customer is "prequalified" the loan officer should be able to hit a button and have the data "dumped" into the Progress Database.

I was thinking that it may be a better idea if the ASP code created a .p file on the fly, executed it, and deleted it. What do you think?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I would use WebSpeed in stead of ASP :).
The problem with making changes to the database is that the user should be informed if something went wrong. (data already changed, locked or ...).
So good error handling is nessecary.
If it's possible to run a Progress procedure from asp (sorry don't know much about asp....) then that would be a solution.

But I'm sure there are more people here who have also there thoughts about this....

Regards,

Casper

fdumlao

Casper said:
the user should be informed if something went wrong. (data already changed, locked or ...).
So good error handling is nessecary.

That is exactly what I was trying to work out, but it proves to be difficult. Calling the database from the command line still creates GUI error output, which I obviously cannnot parse with ASP :(.

I was hoping to find some middle ground. I would love to find a way to run 4GL procedures from within ASP, that sounds like my rosetta stone.

We are on progress 9.1d, with NetSpeed, but our company has for some reason decided not to use it (the NetSpeed part). The company has decided that anything "web" related is the job of the "internet department" and all the use is ASP. Now here I am in the middle trying to develop some way to get them to play nice.:eek:

What about setting up a 4GL socket that accepts XML data and then sends out XML data as a response?

fdumlao said:
I would love to find a way to run 4GL procedures from within ASP, that sounds like my rosetta stone.
I'm still 9.1d myself, but my understanding is that you should be able to implement that particular architecture very easily using Web Services/Open Client, for which you would want to move to Open Edge.