App Server not starting

AJH

What commands can I use do determine why my Appserver isn't starting Progress 10.1.c THanks

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Have I mentioned lately that OpenEdge 10.1c is ancient, obsolete, and unsupported?

You really, really, ought to upgrade.

The first thing that you should do is to check that the admin server is running. A distressing number of "my app server won't run" problems are really "the admin server crashed" in disguise.

Code:
proenv>  proadsv -query
OpenEdge Release 11.7.10 as of Fri Apr 30 18:15:56 EDT 2021
AdminServer not alive. (8543)

proenv>  proadsv -query -port 20999                                              # oops! forgot that it is on a non-default port ;)
OpenEdge Release 11.7.10 as of Fri Apr 30 18:15:56 EDT 2021
AdminServer is alive. (8545)

Then see what app servers are already running:

Code:
proenv>  asbman -query -all -port 20999
. . .

And finally, finding the log files is sometimes surprisingly difficult (if it isn't running you may need to fish around in ubroker.properties):

Code:
proenv>  ps -ef | grep -i myAppSrv
root     28673 28583 82 Aug29 ?        1-02:45:34 /usr/dlc/bin/_proapsv -logginglevel 1 -logfile /u1/wrk/logs/myAppSrv.server.075873.log -ubpid 28583 -Ms 1 -logname myAppSrv -logentrytypes ASPlumbing,DB.Connects -logthreshold 50000000 -numlogfiles 10 -ASID 2 -ubpropfile /usr/dlc/properties/ubroker.properties -ipver IPv4 -Bt 2000 -lkwtmo 10 -debugalert -Mm 8192 -s 32000 -pf /usr/appservers/myAppSrv.pf -q
. . .

That should help to get the debugging under way.

AJH

I quired then App server and it said it was ALIVE

When I did the absman:

Broker: test29_AS not running (8313)

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Your appserver will have a broker and server log file. These are a good place to look for errors.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I quired then App server and it said it was ALIVE

I'm pretty sure you mean to say that you queried the admin server and that the admin server is alive. That's good. It is a critical first step.

When I did the absman:

Broker: test29_AS not running (8313)

Ok. Did you try to start it?

It is good that you showed the command output but you should also show the actual commands that you run with the resulting output. That way if there are any syntax errors or missing options we can stand a chance of noticing them.

Code:
proenv>  asbman -i test29_AS -start

If it doesn't start the errors might be instructive. You will probably need to look in the log files to find them - "asbman" doesn't usually provide any useful feedback.

AJH

I tried to start and got this message:
Unable to find test29_AS (8281)

I went to log directory and no new entries found in the LOG. It just showed the last time it was shut down

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I tried to start and got this message:
Unable to find test29_AS (8281)

I went to log directory and no new entries found in the LOG. It just showed the last time it was shut down

You have ignored my suggestion that you post both the command that you executed *and* the output of that command.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
In any event... asbman is very sensitive about spelling and case. If it says that it cannot find test29_AS then it is likely that you have a different spelling or casing somewhere in ubroker.properties.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The thing that you want to be starting, stopping, and querying with asbman is the name found after [UBroker.AS.whatever] not the names found in appserviceNameList.