Question Windows Hyper-V Replica

gareth.roberts

Hello,

Has anyone successfully used this to replicate a VM with a Progress database running on it and maintained the integrity of the database?

I have a client who wishes to uses this, i have informed them it is not supported by Progress and they would need to extensively test the solution. I'm just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of using this technology with a Progress database?

Thanks

Gareth

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I haven't tried it, but as you say PSC doesn't support it so that's reason enough to leave it alone.

Do they have some database replication need that can't be handled by backup/restore, AI and log-shipping, or OE Replication?

gareth.roberts

I agree Rob and have recommended the solutions you have mentioned.

They use Hyper-V Replica for the rest of there infrastructure and I said I would do some digging to see if anyone has successfully used it with Progress.

cj_brandt

Our 10.2B databases have been moved from 1 datacenter to another using vmware and vmotion. To accomplish this requires writing the server's memory to disk and then replicating that - so the IO performance of a system configured to do this is reduced. The more memory added to the server, the more disk IO required to sync the memory. I was not involved in configuring the VM components, only in testing the db performance.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I haven't used ESX or vmotion but I've heard of other people doing it successfully. I asked Progress about support of vmotion but I couldn't get a hard answer out of them. It was along the lines of "yeah, I guess it should work". I'd be inclined to at least take a quiet point, if possible, before transitioning a running DB.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I expect that we will hear a few things from Lynn Reas about this at PUG Challenge -- Tuesday, June 11 2:30pm "What-Why-How: Virtualization of an OpenEdge System".

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I expect that we will hear a few things from Lynn Reas about this at PUG Challenge -- Tuesday, June 11 2:30pm "What-Why-How: Virtualization of an OpenEdge System".

I wish I could attend that one, but the scheduling doesn't work out.

I do have to say though that the scheduling was well done. I'll be able to attend almost every session I'm interested in. :)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Gus tells me that it is important to put a few conflicts in here and there -- it forces people to make a decision ;)

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I wish that would work in db applications. Stick the odd conflict into the application to force the user to make a decision about whether or not to complete the transaction.

LynnReas

I have setup and running a Hyper-V replication OpenEdge database with Server 2012. In testing if I hard power off the Primary VM, go over to my Replica VM and do the fail over it has come up correctly. It act much like just pulling the power from any other OpenEdge database. Once the database starts you will see transactions being backed out.
In a few weeks we will have 4 maybe 5 sites running with HyperV replication. Two of which are pretty large.
My concern is more of the amount of Disk I/O penalty that will occur. Just haven't been able to give what that percent is yet.
I'll follow up in a couple months with our findings.
Lynn