Who is ProgressTalk?

U

Unregistered

Hi

Am new to ProgressTalk. Can someone enlighten me who the Webmaster is? Is this site setup and moderated by Progress employees or some other people? FAQ does not seem to mention this.

Is there any other forum on Progress besides this?

Thanks

jongpau

Hi,

I am not sure, but I think Progress has nothing to do with this site (someone correct me if I am wrong please)....

But what does it matter? In my experience (in Europe) the people out there using the product know more of and about Progress than the Progress people themselves. Try the European Helpdesk if you feel like having some "fun". It'll take them on average at least 4 days and lots of emails before they even begin to understand your question (let alone give you an answer)... But anyway, that's besides the point.

Besides ProgressTalk.com there is also www.peg.com (also not Progress owned/moderated I think). The Peg is more a mailing list. You can subscribe to several lists and questions/answers arrive in your mailbox (if you do not subscribe to a list you can read the posts via the website)... You can of course also post questions/answers, again via email. Depending on the list(s) you subscribe to the amount of emails you will get each day varies from hardly any to lots (look for instance on www.peg.com/lists/peg/web to get an idea of what's going on there).

And then there is the "newsgroup".... comp.databases.progress. I have tried that a couple of times, but it's not really worth your while to even look there.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
ProgressTalk.com is run by myself and Fast 4GL Systems, Inc., my company. We are not associated with Progress Software Corporation in any way.... we just provide a free place for Progress developers to ask and answer technical questions.

U

Unregistered

Thanks Chris - so ProgressTalk.com is owned by Fast 4GL Systems. Are you one of the owners of Fast 4GL Inc? You might want to consider these information to be put in FAQ. Newcomers would be interested to know who owns ProgressTalk.

Thanks JongPau about the other sites. I would prefer forum to be web-based or newsgroup. Email, to me, seems odd - but maybe your experience with them is OK. I hear they are fairly active. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

jongpau

Hi,

Yes, depending on the list you are interested in (there are quite a few lists for specific topics), the Peg is quite active.

I must say I prefer using ProgressTalk myself.... currently I am only subscribed to the peg API list (which does not have too many posts). A while ago I was also subscribed to the peg list, but that filled up my mailbox too much, so I now only access that list through the website.

There are however many quite a few people on the peg that know Progress inside out...