Comment What Is Your Average Day A Openedge Developer/administrator

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
What is your average day an OpenEdge Developer/Administrator?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
-1) Drink coffee.
0) Plan on getting something useful done.
1) Drink coffee.
2) Read e-mail.
3) Watch developing chaos unfold; wait for chaos to arrive at my door.
4) Chaos arrives at my door.
5) Put out fire.
6) Hope to get something useful done tomorrow...

;)

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Ok, now that that's out of my system...

I'd say I don't have an average day, which is one of the things I love about my job. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

Various things I work on from day to day:
  • Reading PANS articles of interest.
  • Working with developers and architects on enhancements and new applications.
  • Helping developers with performance testing.
  • Helping developers/BAs/technicians to debug application issues.
  • Working with developers on schema design and solution design.
  • Consulting with project teams on application implementations, upgrades, and server migrations.
  • Providing direction to DBA team on schema/structure/parameter configuration and analysis.
  • Performing application/database health checks on client systems.
  • Consulting on licensing questions, proposals, compliance issues, etc.
  • Researching/writing/testing DBA procedures.
  • Writing DBA utility code and scripts.
  • Analyzing release notes of new releases and service packs, changing processes and procedures as needed.
  • Participating in OE beta program (ESAP).
  • Coordinating rollout of new OE releases internally.
  • Attending Progress conferences (PUG Challenge Americas), consuming and analyzing information from same, disseminating information internally.
  • Educating staff on OE platform concepts.
  • Visiting and talking to clients' technical and management staff on a variety of issues.
  • Benchmarking.
  • Education/professional development (trying to learn more about what I do and get better at it).
  • Trying to help others and get help (stuff like PT and Progress Community).
  • Trying to improve the platform (e.g. enhancement requests, bug reports, KB feedback, liaison with PSC).
Some of this is every day, some is once in a while. It really varies. This isn't a comprehensive list.

Cecil

Mine is:
  1. Drink coffee.
  2. Help someone remember their password for xyz application.
  3. Fix paper jams.
  4. Explain that PDF files are NOT designed to be editable documents.
  5. Teach users how to save documents to OneDrive.
  6. Teach users that the desktop is not the best place to save documents. (Needs an internet Meme for that one.)
  7. Explain to IT vendors and such likes what OpenEdge is or who Progress Software are.
  8. Check out the latest 'New Posts' on ProgressTalk.
  9. Explaining to the accounts team that all invoices for our expired or expiring domain names are fake and are not to be paid.
  10. Explain to staff that of the telephone system is VoIP based and it goes over the internet. That why the phones don't work when the internet goes out.
  11. Checking out job listings website for Progress (Ambiguous results), OpenEdge, 4gl & ABL only to have zero results, or the message: 'Did you mean Postgres'?
  12. Explain that using the colour laser printer for' black & white' print jobs is expensive.
  13. Explaining that just because something unexpected happens on your computer, it does not mean you have a computer virus.
  14. Explain that I can't magically find a document that you did not save or you can't remember what you called it.
But seriously, does anybody have any remote OpenEdge development work needed?

Last edited:

Cecil

Also waiting to see whos first on the ProgressTalk forum to ridicule somebody for using 9.x or 10.x, god for bid 8.3C.

Last edited:

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Where are you based Cecil? We don't have an opening, but we always consider good candidates.

My average day usually revolves around catching up on emails, planning to get something done, and then not doing that because something more urgent came up than the super-urgent thing I was meant to be doing. That's the joy of being stuck in support I suppose.

Cecil

Where are you based Cecil? We don't have an opening, but we always consider good candidates.

My average day usually revolves around catching up on emails, planning to get something done, and then not doing that because something more urgent came up than the super-urgent thing I was meant to be doing. That's the joy of being stuck in support I suppose.

I am in New Zealand, but I have been recently been made redundant. Might move to back to the UK if I don't find a new job in the new year.

Cringer

Staff member
Sorry to hear that matey. If you find yourself living in the EU then send over your CV. We're an Irish company, so can employ any EU resident simply enough.

ForEachInvoiceDelete

'Did you mean Postgres'?

I had this last week.

My usual work day involves a mix of :-

Firefighting problems.
Being distracted by System Experts/Project Managers that have no clue how anything works in the system.
Trying to get 11.7 replication sets working with TDE/Multi Tenancy.
I might even get an enhancement or two done if im lucky.

Edit: And plenty of meetings about meetings.

Cecil

Just found this little beauty today, they should pay double for danger money:
upload_2017-11-10_12-16-40.png

Cringer

Staff member
I would hazard a guess they are running Syteline or some such legacy product that's almost impossible to upgrade. Hopefully they're also running a suitably antiquated OS on those servers!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Syteline is actually upgradeable -- we just had a customer upgrade it to oe11.6 a couple of weeks ago...

It's also pretty unlikely to be in a bank.

Cecil

Syteline is actually upgradeable -- we just had a customer upgrade it to oe11.6 a couple of weeks ago...

It's also pretty unlikely to be in a bank.
'people bank' is a recruitment agency.

Cecil

Could they be any more obvious about how they view their “resources”?
The dangers of reading responses on mobile phone. I Regret everything. My mistake Tom, I thought you were saying that they are a bank.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
No, no, you got it right - I originally got it wrong. Perhaps because one of my local banks is "People's Bank".

I am now riffing on the idea of a recruiter "banking" people. I guess 'peoplefarm' might be worse?