What has become of that list?

FWIW

Ok, for anyone who primarily accesses it through the web front end, and has (like me) assumed it has been down for 3 weeks, it appears to be functioning as normal through the email subscription list.

Obviously I completely missed this notice highlighted at the top of the home page before:

Peg said:
PEG crashed Nov 1; the recovery process is underway. You must re-subscribe to get forum messages.
Visit our subscriptions page to re-subscribe to our forums.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
what, no backups, not even a year old one ?

so, all the messages, technical articles, downloads etc. are gone ?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
even if it is, taking a month to restore from backup isn't good.

this is a paid service after all.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The impression I get is that Greg is not trying to do an ordinary restore, but rather trying to shift to a new technology as a part of recreating the site. No doubt, having a day job gets in the way too.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I am a bit suprised at this as well.... it looks like they have a backup of the raw messages, but not the html version of the messages, nor the scripts that did the conversion work. And looks like many other scripts and pages were lost as well... they were talking about trying to retrieve some of this using web based archives of the site.

I know I have 4 complete copies of all of the ProgressTalk pages and database right now on 4 different disk drives on 2 seperate servers. So getting back online after a server crash would take 5-10 minutes to be at the point of the last nightly backup. Even if my data center went under (which is impossible since it's the Level 3 datacenter in Newark, NJ), I could have the backups on another server within hours.

I hope the lesson of backup, backup, backup is learned here.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
The impression I get is that Greg is not trying to do an ordinary restore, but rather trying to shift to a new technology as a part of recreating the site. No doubt, having a day job gets in the way too.

That's true, and I would agree with trying to update some of the outdated technologies that are used. But I know many people depend on the message archives and search that was on the site.... having it down for so long while this is done seems like a huge inconviences for some people.

I mean, there's a poor guy posting today that lost his job, and since the job's list archive is gone, he can't even contact some companies/recruiters with his resume.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member

i'm not sure that's the case, but that's not good either.

i believe i've heard the site will be upgraded 4 times in the past 2 years.

anyone has a copy of the monographs ?

i also need to do a search about pdf include as soon as possible.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I know I have 4 complete copies of all of the ProgressTalk pages and database right now on 4 different disk drives on 2 seperate servers. So getting back online after a server crash would take 5-10 minutes to be at the point of the last nightly backup. Even if my data center went under (which is impossible since it's the Level 3 datacenter in Newark, NJ), I could have the backups on another server within hours.

I hope the lesson of backup, backup, backup is learned here.

Nothing is impossible... especially in Newark. I hope at least one of your backups is in a different time-zone from the others. Or at least a different State. ;)

And let us not forget to be testing and validating our backups too.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing is impossible... especially in Newark. I hope at least one of your backups is in a different time-zone from the others. Or at least a different State. ;)

Very true ;) I do keep a copy locally in PA though, although I don't update that every day (I probably should).

And let us not forget to be testing and validating our backups too.

Yup, a backup isn't any good if you don't practice restoring it somewhere to make sure you've got it all correct. I know of too many companies that would backup their databases nightly, but never test restoring them. And sometimes they found out they had problems restoring them for whatever reason when they needed to recover from an issue.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
... need another search about activex.

hard to believe, but it looks like all the knowledge collected over the years is gone.

without the knowledge base part, peg has lost alot of it's appeal. not sure i'll renew this year.

i'm sorry but it's irresponsible.

i don't need to tell anyone here what it would mean to a company if they last all their data ... or so i thought.

whether there were no backups (most likely) or Greg is not interested in restoring it.