Upgrading to OE 11

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Has anyone upgrade to OE 11 yet?

I'm interested in two things the multi-tenant database feature, but it's not clear if I need a license for it.

The other is the new JSON handling. Now from the JSON aspect it's all a little bit confusing for me. It's all object orientated and I have done very little of the OO stuff yet. I've tried to do do some of the OO programming over the past years but I have never been able to get any of the sample code to run or compile.

How easy is it to write and simple bit of code to produce some JSON using the new JSON handlers? I've tried the sample code from the OE 11 manual but it' does not work.

Cecil

Thanks ROB.

I've gone through the John Sadd videos a few weeks back. I wounder if it's compulsory to use the 'OpenEdge Editor' as this is not available to WebSpeed Workshop license to configure all the tenants etc.?

Cecil

Well I'm feeling a little bit excited that I've just put an order request to upgrade to OE 11.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You know you will need to upgrade your DBs to take advantage of the 11.0 DB features. Also, MT config is done through OpenEdge Explorer, not the editor, so you should have access to it.

Cecil

Yeah I got myself all confused regarding OE Management and OE Editor. Upgrading my database should not be of any problem but it's been soooooo long since i've run the proutil conv**** command line. Is there any special consideration when converting an UTF-8 DB?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Depending on your DB size and allowable downtime, you might be better advised to rebuild your DB under OE 11. Dump your definitions, sequence values, users (if any), SQL permissions and views (if any), and data. Then build a new OE 11 DB and load it all back in. That guarantees you won't have conversion issues, because you aren't converting.

Cecil

<RANT>

I've Started developing classes in OE 11 under the AppBuilder and I am instantly frustrated with Progress Software. For developers who only have the WebSpeed Workshop Developer License for Windows, the AppBuilder does not allow for classes (*.cls) in the open file dialog box. So every time I want to open a Class file I have to select 'All Files (*.*)' from the File of type: selection box. This soon gets frustrating very quickly.:mad:

Also there is no option to "Compile on save" of classes.

</RANT>

saveasoe11.PNG

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So why aren't you using PDSOE? You don't expect them to put effort into advancing AppBuilder at this point, do you?

Cecil

So why aren't you using PDSOE? You don't expect them to put effort into advancing AppBuilder at this point, do you?

I would love to start using the Progress OpenEdge Editor IDE if it came bundled with the Webspeed Workshop license. I checked out the pricing about two years ago and was an extra $10,000 (approximately) NZD per year on top of our existing annual maintenance. I just could not justify the extra cost.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, I am a little fuzzy here. Are you suggesting that WS Workshop includes AppBuilder?

From the US price list, PDSOE should be about 4400 NZD ... but I know that a straight conversion doesn't always work.

But, I do know that PDSOE in 11.0 has some very nice features for publishing code to AppServer and, I think, to WebSpeed. If you consider productivity, it could easily be worth it.

Not to mention getting a seat of the PSDN SDK, then you have everything.

Cecil

Well, I am a little fuzzy here. Are you suggesting that WS Workshop includes AppBuilder?

Yup, WebSpeed Workshop for Windows does include the AppBuilder. You just can't create an Windows, Smart Windows or anything Windows GUI related.

Also since Progress Software do not have any offices here in New Zealand, all Progress Software sales are done through Team Progress. Team Progress have also give me the latest prices [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]OpenEdge Architect costs $11,995 per concurrent user (plus GST (15%) and 18% annual maintenance)[/FONT]. This is just just too expensive.

Cecil

Here are some screenshot of what shortcuts I have available to me under the WebSpeed Workshop License OE 11 and AppBuilder's 'New' file dialog box.

OE11WSWorkshopInstalled.PNG
OE11WSWorkshopAppBuilder.PNG

Cecil

How much is a subscription to the PSDN SDK?

Both the premier and professional both costs $8015 + GST (15%) per year. That works out about $154 per week. Ouch.

However I can trade in my WebSpeed Workshop Licence for the Progress Development Studio (OE architect concurrent licence) and pay $7839 + GST.

What I'm still not sure is, would I be able to use 'Progress Development Studio' for web development (i.e. SpeedScrip)? .

Cecil

How much is a subscription to the PSDN SDK?

Both the premier and professional both costs $8015 + GST (15%) per year. That works out about $154 per week. Ouch.

However I can trade in my WebSpeed Workshop Licence for the Progress Development Studio (OE architect concurrent licence) and pay $7839 + GST.

What I'm still not sure is, would I be able to use 'Progress Development Studio' for web development (i.e. SpeedScript)? .

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It isn't something I am doing, but the impression I have is that 11.0 provides a lot of support for both AppServer and web development ... details need exploring. Might be worth downloading the eval for a look.

Realize, of course, that you are getting a *lot* more than PDS with PSDN SDK.