Upgrading from OpenEdge 10.2b to 11.x

KMoody

We upgraded from 9.1e to 10.2b about a year ago, and I'm debating the pros and cons of upgrading to 11.
  • Can OpenEdge 11 still display programs in V6 mode? (I assume it would, but haven't read anything that definitely confirms this.)
  • Do programs in 11 look different from those in 10.2b?
  • Will my existing code behave differently if I upgrade?
  • Do you consider 11.5 stable? If not, which version of 11 should I use?

TheMadDBA

For the most part I haven't run into any issues. I even had a chance to see some old style readkey code that worked under V11.

Some new keywords of course and some minor validation changes on the BY side that make sure the data types are consistent on IF statements inside a BY (horrible thing to allow anyways).

If you use CAN-DO anywhere in your code there is a new startup parameter to stop OpenEdge from breaking the old behavior... something they added for multi-tenant. -nocandodomain? Only available in 11.5.

I consider 11.5 stable but of course you should test, test, test and test. And probably test again :)

The bigger issue might be whether the operating systems you use are supported under V11.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
-nocandodomain?
Correct.

From the 11.5 NeRF:
• When -nocandodomain is not in effect, the statement CAN-DO("abc","abc@") evaluates to TRUE because both strings are interpreted as user abc in the blank domain.
• When -nocandodomain is in effect, the statement CAN-DO("abc","abc@") evaluates to FALSE.

I'm debating the pros and cons
I'd say the main "con" for moving to 11.5 now is the cost of your time for testing and implementation.

I see lots of "pros".

Support
With 11.5, you're moving to a release that has a guaranteed support lifetime of three years minimum. 10.2B is still supported, but technically that could change any day. That doesn't mean I expect it to change very soon, but it's a roll of the dice whether it will still be supported a few years from now. Also, 11.5 can receive future service packs for bug fixes, performance improvements, and feature additions. According to the current plan, 10.2B will never receive another service pack.

Performance/access to new features
We're now well past the point where 10.2B had database feature parity with 11.x, apart from multi-tenant. For a while (11.1-11.2 time frame), some DB enhancements (e..g. idxbuild improvements, lruskips/lru2skips, prefetch query tuning params) were being back-ported to 10.2B, I think mainly because the combination of 10.2B's stability and 11.0's long development cycle resulted in a large 10.2B install base. Now the latest improvements are in 11.x only.
Obviously if you're writing your own code and care about new language/tooling/runtime features, they're only in v11 too. And entirely new products like Table Partitioning, Advanced Enterprise Database, and Pacific AppServer are only available in the later 11.x releases.

Future upgrades
If you move to v11 now, there's a good chance your next OE upgrade will be to a later release of 11.x, which is a relatively easy transition. No DB upgrade and very likely no recompile will be required. If you stay on 10.2B, your next upgrade is guaranteed to require recompile and DB changes.

Compatibility
At present, there is still enough of an install base for 10.2B that PSC is doing some OS certifications on 10.2B08 in addition to the recent 11.x releases. I would expect that trend of certifying 10.2B on new OSes to end within the next 12 months, or maybe even after the current certifications in the pipeline (Win10, Server 2016, etc.) are done. I don't have any inside information on that; it's just my guess based on conversations and announcements at PUG Challenge this year.
So if you choose to stay on 10.2B, near-term server replacement/provisioning could force you choose between moving to 11.x sooner than you expected or running 10.2B on an uncertified OS and hoping for the best.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
As for whether 11.5 is stable, there's a couple of minor issues with it, so make sure you go straight for 11.5.1. There's a particularly nasty bug with ORs in queries that we're hitting in plain 11.5.