Question Unable To Remotely Disconnect Db For Sql Client

Madhusudan

Hi All,

I'm trying to disconnect few SQL clients connected to the DB from my remote client session. I'm trying to achieve the same by using the Pro shut command. But I'm getting a error Message. The Error message number is 748:
"The Server or the system has no more resources. Please contact Progress Technical Support."

I do not have many users connected to the Server.
I tried with all possible parameters with the PROSHUT command.

Please help.

Regards,
Madhusudan.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Do you get that when you try and run the proshut command? If I remember correctly that's because you've used up all the connections to the DB and can't connect another. You'll need to increase the -n (I think)
Progress KB - How to set the values for the startup parameters -Ma, -Mn and -n
Progress KB - How to investigate errors (748) and (1334)

Question - are your brokers set to be either 4GL only or SQL only? If not, they should be or you can get into this sort of pickle quite easily. Not sure if it's considered a bug (and therefore fixed or not), but there certainly used to be an issue where once a client had connected to a mixed broker as a SQL connection, that broker would then no longer accept 4GL connections at all.

Madhusudan

Do you get that when you try and run the proshut command? If I remember correctly that's because you've used up all the connections to the DB and can't connect another. You'll need to increase the -n (I think)
Progress KB - How to set the values for the startup parameters -Ma, -Mn and -n
Progress KB - How to investigate errors (748) and (1334)

Question - are your brokers set to be either 4GL only or SQL only? If not, they should be or you can get into this sort of pickle quite easily. Not sure if it's considered a bug (and therefore fixed or not), but there certainly used to be an issue where once a client had connected to a mixed broker as a SQL connection, that broker would then no longer accept 4GL connections at all.

Hey Cringer,

Thanks a lot for helping me out on this.

I'm running a SAP Crystal report from my Progress Application, the SAP crystal report displays(retrieves) data from the SQL database. Every time I open a crystal report from Application, a new SQL client connection is established. However it fails to disconnect by itself when I close the report. This results in creation of a new SQL client connection every time I open the Crystal Report. After a while i'm unable to open any more report as the SQl servers in DB is not available. (Screenshot attached).

All I need to do is to disconnect the SQL client manually from my Progress Code, using the proshut command. However when I try to run the proshut command from one of the clients for a DB which is hosted in the parent server, I get the 748 Error.

Will u be able to advise me on how to proceed further here.

It will be of great help.

Regards,
Madhu.

Attachments

• SQL Server Error.png
    SQL Server Error.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 8

Madhusudan

Hey brandt,

I have attached the Databse Information File for your reference.

Regards,
Madhusudan

Attachments

• DB Info.docx
    147.2 KB · Views: 8

cj_brandt

I believe you need to look at the links to the Progress KB that were provided above. The progress kb includes OEM screenshots for how to configure the database to support SQL connections.

TheMadDBA

You already have good advice about how to configure the OE database to help with your issue.

I would like to suggest you look into the close and dispose methods for Crystal Reports so that you actually disconnect from the database after the report is run :)

Madhusudan

I tired all the steps suggested by you guys, finally I was able to use the below command to disconnect a specific client from a Remote session:

proshut <dbname> -H <HostName> -S <Service/Port> -N tcp.

The above command in turn provides me an option to enter the Client number I wish to disconnect, but when I try to do that, I get the below Error:

ShutDown request denied ; you do not have the correct User ID. (547)

I have the Admin access. Is it not possible to disconnect a SQL connection in Server Machine from the Client machine?

Please advise

Regards,
Madhu

cj_brandt

There are entries in the Progress KB about shutting down a database remotely and possible error messages that appear - such as yours.
If a remote shutdown request is made from an older version of Progress the shutdown request is denied, but a different error message is displayed:
Shutdown request denied; you do not have the correct user ID. (547)

use the proper database startup parameters so the database better handles SQL connections.
use the proper functionality in Crystal Reports to disconnect from the database after the report is run.
after implementing these, the process of trying to remotely disconnect users from the db should no longer be necessary.