Type1 To Type 2 Storage

Dear All,

Kindly help me regarding below concerns of mine:

1. Under “Type-2”, database and index should have same area or should be different for data and index (as in type-1).

2. What all tables schema area should contain, only VST tables?

3. How do I convert type1àtype 2 conversions after doing dump and load? For example, I have one area named “Transaction” (Type - 1) and this area has 200 tables, so while converting this to type-2 storage, what all steps we need to follow?

Code:
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;1 db-name.d1 f 1844608

d "TRANSACTION":7,64;1 db-name.d2 f 1844608

d "TRANSACTION":7,64;1 db-name.d3 f 1844608

d "TRANSACTION":7,64;1 db-name _7.d4

For converting above to type 2 storage structure, can I dump the database and load it in below kind of structure:

d "TRANSACTION":7,64;64 db-name.d1 f 1844608

d "TRANSACTION":7,64;64 db-name.d2 f 1844608

d "TRANSACTION":7,64;64 db-name.d3 f 1844608

d "TRANSACTION":7,64;64 db-name _7.d4

Or we need to create separate areas for multiple tables, like one area for large table and one area for few small tables. If yes, then kindly share the step that needs to be followed for this allocation.

Kindly suggest.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
The general rule of thumb is to keep indexes and data separate. A very basic storage strategy would be to have:
BI
Schema
Data
Index
4 * variable AI extents
You can make things more complicated by separating off certain high activity tables into their own area (and then a parallel area for their indexes), but in a lot of cases the above basic strategy is a much better starting point than having anything in Type I.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1. Under “Type-2”, database and index should have same area or should be different for data and index (as in type-1).

Data, Indexes and LOBs (if you have any) should be in separate storage areas. This applies to both type 1 and type 2 areas.

2. What all tables schema area should contain, only VST tables?

Only the schema should be in the schema area. (To be pedantic VSTs <> schema....)

Progress *requires* that the meta-schema (_file, _field etc) and the system tables (VSTs, SYS*) be in the schema area. You have no choice about that. User defined tables, indexes and LOBs will *default* to the schema area but you should not allow that. Any user-defined tables, indexes and LOBs should go in user created storage areas. At a minimum create 2 areas: "data" and "indexes". (If you have LOB data create a 3rd -- "LOB"). You can create more but having these is a very good start.

3. How do I convert type1àtype 2 conversions after doing dump and load? For example, I have one area named “Transaction” (Type - 1) and this area has 200 tables, so while converting this to type-2 storage, what all steps we need to follow?

The "conversion" is to dump and load. You dump from type 1 areas and load into a type 2 area. There are no additional steps.

Code:
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;1 db-name.d1 f 1844608
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;1 db-name.d2 f 1844608
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;1 db-name.d3 f 1844608
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;1 db-name _7.d4

For converting above to type 2 storage structure, can I dump the database and load it in below kind of structure:

Yes.

Code:
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;64 db-name.d1 f 1844608
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;64 db-name.d2 f 1844608
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;64 db-name.d3 f 1844608
d "TRANSACTION":7,64;64 db-name _7.d4

This would work. Although the cluster size of 64 is silly. 512 would be more sensible.

Or we need to create separate areas for multiple tables, like one area for large table and one area for few small tables. If yes, then kindly share the step that needs to be followed for this allocation.

That depends entirely on your data, the access patterns, how much performance you need and how much work you want to put into this. You *could* do such a thing but there is no requirement to do so.

Kindly suggest.

I suggest that you read the materials suggested to Mike in: Advantage And Disadvatages Of Type Ii Databases and continue to ask specific questions if there is something unclear. So far you are doing a good job of asking good questions!

Last edited: