System Error 126 on IIS

lewis886

I have an ASP.NET application which is connecting to a Progress 10.1C database. When I run it from within Visual Studio, on my local machine, it connects to the database perfectly fine and pulls in data with no problem. When I publish the page to IIS on our server that runs ASP applications, it suddenly gives the following error:

ERROR [IM003] Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126: The specified module could not be found. (Progress OpenEdge 10.1C Driver, P:\oe10\bin\pgoe1023.dll).

I've been fighting this error for a while now. We've tried all kinds of things and we simply can't find any way around it. I checked and the driver can only be installed as a network shared driver. It seems as though the server doesn't have access to the P: drive, but we've checked and it does. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I checked and the driver can only be installed as a network shared driver.

I'm curious to know what prevents a local installation of Progress.

Read this KB:
ASP page fails to launch due to SYSTEM ERROR 126 when loading the ODBC driver

Cause: The built-in account (IUSR_machine_name) does not have permissions to access network resources which will be the case if Progress has been installed on the network shared drive.

Resolution: Install Progress on the local drive to the IIS and add the read and execute permissions for the IUSR account to all the files in the installation directory.

Are you using the built-in account for IIS/ASP?

lewis886

Well, honestly I don't really know what prevents a local installation. The only setup file that my sysadmin knew about was the one in netsetup, which would explain why it is only allowing a network share installation. After reading your question I went and looked around in the folders and found a few other things. For example, in the folder oe10 > Install > odbc > I found the file sql-odbc-setup. Is that what I should try to install? If not, which install file should I use?

And yes, I am using the build-in account for IIS.

lewis886

Okay...so what does that mean in the long run? Is there a way to make this work? Do I use some other setup file/method? What is my next step?

lewis886

We had to contact the software vendor, but we finally got the files to install the full version of OpenEdge on the server running the ASP applications. That did the trick. Once that was installed the errors disappeared. Thanks, guys.