Question Sysprogress Password Lost

rogerqq_lo

How can i reset sysprogress password?
I only have two account
1. sysprogress (forgotten password)
2. blank userid (blank password)

I can access the database with blank userid, and i can see the user list.But it won't let me change the password if you login with a blank userid.

I use promon db, but it doesn't show userid. And i found that the database security is enabled. Now i'm going to delete all user in database. Will the promon show PID? Wish it works.

i'm using openedge 10.2B07 with QAD

Last edited:

RealHeavyDude

You should also be able to login with the OS account under which the database was created.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

LarryD

You can only change passwords for the account you are loggged in as. As long as you have admin capabilities, you will need to delete then re-add the user sysprogress and then set the password.

From kBase S000011917

The Progress/OpenEdge database does not allow users (regardless of their permission level) to change another user's password in the _user table. The only time this can be done is when creating a new user so the typical solution for this is to delete the _user record then re-add it with the new password.

rogerqq_lo

But i only have two user in _user. sysprogress and a blank userid.

I can't use the blank userid to delete or create any userid now.:(

RealHeavyDude

Then you are hosed. There is no built-in backdoor that allows you to circumvent the security setup in the database.

If you are able to dump the data definition and other stuff like sequence current values with the blank userid ( which can be disabled in the security settings of the database - data administration tool ), then the only thing you can do is:
  • Dump the contents of the database ( ascii for stuff like sequence current values and ascii or binary for table contents )
  • Build a new database
  • Load the contents of the database
  • Re-craete the SYSPROGRESS user account
  • Don't lose the password this time
If access for blank userid is disabled ( which I supposed should be the case in any database that contains any data of value ), then you are really hosed.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.