Sx.e Only one login allowed

ericinmia

NxTrend is telling us that because of Sarbanes Oxley... we can only have one login per user concurrently. But we are not a publicly traded company so this limitation doesn't apply to us.

They claim that its a built in AIX 'UNIX' limitation that prevents multiple logins, however... when i looked into the software it appears the usernames we use are not users on the unix server but users in SX.e instead.

We have the database on AIX 5L and SX.e GUI 4.4 running on windows 2000 terminal servers.

Thanks for any help you can!
-Eric

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1) Even if you were a public company SOX says no such thing.

2) AIX has no such limit.

3) Progress has no such limit.

There are lots of good reasons why a person might want to be logged in more than once. It's possible that SX.e has made a design choice to enforce such a limit for some arcane reason of their own -- I wouldn't know -- but there is no external reason for it.

I'd call again and see if you can't get a different support person to handle your question.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Tom,

maybe you could help me with this one ?

in an n-tier architecture if a setup had more then one instance of an appserver. maybe webspeed and an appserver, or two or more appservers, maybe even for load balancing reasons.

would the user license cover any setup with more then a single appserver or is it another user license for every instance of an appserver ? TIA

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It depends.

1) The application partner's licensing can be "whatever". Although, in this case, I'm told that SX.e follows Progress' lead -- thus SX.e users and Progress users should, in theory, be defined in the same way. (But other applications may decide to count their users differently and several are known to.)

2) It depends on what sort of Progress licensing you have. Named users, concurrent users, CPU based or "something else". All of which are possible.

3) It depends on the moods of far too many people. The language in the policy guide is very vague and subject to wildly divergent interpretation. Every attempt to "clarify" the rules by adding more rules just makes it worse (hint to PSC: we need fewer and simpler rules...) On top of that exceptions are made and quotas must be met. By many parties.

None the less... IMHO any scheme that requires more than one license per product for a single butt keeping a seat warm is obviously wrong. Especially if you're using those products because your trusted vendor has said that that is the right way to do things. So my interpretation of your scenario is "no". One real, live, breathing user, one app-server license. Regardless of how many instances of an app server you may choose to deploy. That is, after all, a good part of the technical attraction of the technology. To burden it with ridiculous and unproductive licensing would only slow down adoption.

Nyradel

Administrative Options

We are using SX.e Verion 4.1.020. In the AO options there is a setting for concurrent logins. We are able to login concurrently with the GUI side but not on the Character side.

Nyradel

ericinmia

Nyradel said:
We are using SX.e Verion 4.1.020. In the AO options there is a setting for concurrent logins. We are able to login concurrently with the GUI side but not on the Character side.

Nyradel

Thanks!

I'm going to take a look at that...

McCordick

Thanks!

I'm going to take a look at that...
Although version 4.1 and prior releases of SXE GUI allow multiple logins per operator; version 4.3 and later no longer allow more than one login per SXE operator. My understanding is that the earlier releases had instability issues related to multiple logins especially when GL journals and orders were open. In fact, we noticed this instability on version 3.1.060 of SXE with multiple logins of the same operator. If you do attempt to use multiple logins in versions prior to 4.3 you are likely to encounter these problems especially in transaction posting functions. Things seemed to work OK with inquiries and reporting, etc.

Regards,

John

ericinmia

Although version 4.1 and prior releases of SXE GUI allow multiple logins per operator; version 4.3 and later no longer allow more than one login per SXE operator. My understanding is that the earlier releases had instability issues related to multiple logins especially when GL journals and orders were open. In fact, we noticed this instability on version 3.1.060 of SXE with multiple logins of the same operator. If you do attempt to use multiple logins in versions prior to 4.3 you are likely to encounter these problems especially in transaction posting functions. Things seemed to work OK with inquiries and reporting, etc.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense and follows my thought process on it. I finally have someone that backs it up though... :D