Resolved Static instance failed to load. Cannot reference class xyz (14631)

grinder

Hi folks,

I'm facing a strange bahaviour in some of my programs. After a full-compile I get the runtime error
Code:
Static instance failed to load. Cannot reference class xyz (14631)
If I compile those programs after a full-compile again I don't get this error. And I don't use "minimize size" for compiling.
Any idea?

thx in advance

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It's probably relevant to know your exact version and service pack of OpenEdge, from $DLC/version (or %DLC%\version on Windows).

RealHeavyDude

On a hunch:

When you reference classes in procedures which interface has changed - depending on the order which they are compiled you might hit that error. I know this shouldn't happen because every class referenced in another class or procedure should be compiled up front, but my experience shows that this is not always the case and then you hit that error. Since it works on the 2nd compile run, I did not dig any deeper to find out the why - I have no explanation.

grinder

The particular part of the system runs on Unix -> Case sensitive. The error message mentioned the called class in lower case but in the concerned programs it's written with correct case. And here comes the bug: In another program (which doesn't run on Unix and which is compiled before my programs) the class was written in lower case. During a full compile the compiler obviously fetches the class (with wrong case) and translates it in my programs. We found this by comparing the r-codes. Yay!!!