Start and stop db from Application icon

Hi,
What would be the better solution for the below requirement?
We are having a server, in which around 20+ databases are running with different versions of Progress(9 & 10) for 20 different customers. This server we are using for replicate the customer issues. Most of the time we are not using all of them. What we need is , if any of the user (Not an Administartor) clicks any of the Application icon, DB should start and client gets connectd. When the last user disconnects, DB should shut down. As you aware the first user might have a delay in get into the application. This is OK.
This way I feel we can get rid of the Server resource problems. Now as soon as the Admin server starts all the DB starts. Currently all db setup is in Explorer(Not the Batch Files). Any easy way to accomplish this? In PF can we do something? Kindly advise. Start the Db and click on the Application icon is not a solution
Regards
Philip P Oommen.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I'm not enough of a Windows .bat file writer to say exactly how to do it but, sure, you could create a script that checks if the db is up and, if not start it (and any needed auxilary processes).

I've done this in UNIX development environments many times.

Shutting down is a bit trickier -- you're going to miss some situations because of client sessions crashes (this is a test system, presumably you're testing because things sometimes break...) so you will want to have a 2nd process that ensures that orphan servers get cleaned up once in a while (perhaps nightly).

On the other hand... what resource limits are you worried about? 20 databases isn't all that many and for test purposes you shouldn't need to configure them with huge -B values and so forth.