[stackoverflow] [progress Openedge Abl] Copying An Entire, Large Openedge Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drammy

I need to find the fastest way of reading a large OpenEdge table (100 million rows plus), preferably programmatically and outside of ETL tools such as SSIS or staging formats such as text file extracts.

I'm currently using ODBC to query the OpenEdge table in batches using the OFFSET and FETCH modifiers

SELECT COL_1, COL_2
FROM PUB.TABLE_1
ORDER BY ROWID ASC
OFFSET {currentBatchStart} ROWS
FETCH NEXT {batchSize} ROWS ONLY

I'm querying via a system DSN with FetchArraySize: 25 and QueryTimeout: -1. And I'm connecting to an OpenEdge server group set up for SQL only access with message buffer size: 1024.

I'm finding the performance is poor (about 1 million records every 15 minutes) and I suspect it will only slow down as I advance through the table when using the OFFSET FETCH modifiers.

My question is are there any methods I can adopt or settings I can play with to tune the query performance?

1. For example are there better ways of constructing my SQL query? e.g. should I use a WHERE ROWID > {lastMaxRowId} clause to try and prevent OpenEdge from starting from Row 1 on each batch request.
  2. Should I increase the message buffer size on the sql server group

Or should I be looking at alternative methods to read the data out of the table?

Note: Each batch is subsequently sqlbulkcopy'ed into a SQL Server table

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.