Speed Of Index Rebuild

Keith Owens

V8.3E
HPUX 11 (32 bit)

Hello all,

I'm experimenting with ways to reduce the time my index rebuild takes. Current parameter settings are;

-TB 31
-TM 32
-B 4096
-t

I use an srt file with 8 sort files, each being 250000 in size. The 9th file grows to about 500000.

DB is 4gig - indexes 1gig of that. Rebuild takes 3-4 hours.

If I use lots of small sort files will I get an improvement?

Are there any other parameters I can use or can I tweak these.

Thanks in advance
Keith
DBA under stress

ron

Keith Owens said:
V8.3E
HPUX 11 (32 bit)

Hello all,

I'm experimenting with ways to reduce the time my index rebuild takes. Current parameter settings are;

-TB 31
-TM 32
-B 4096
-t

I use an srt file with 8 sort files, each being 250000 in size. The 9th file grows to about 500000.

DB is 4gig - indexes 1gig of that. Rebuild takes 3-4 hours.

If I use lots of small sort files will I get an improvement?

Are there any other parameters I can use or can I tweak these.

Thanks in advance
Keith
DBA under stress

We faced this problem 12 months ago when we had a 92GB database that urgently needed a D&L. Under Solaris, /tmp is (effectively) a RAM disc ... and since we had 16GB of memory we allowed Progress to use up to 13.5GB of /tmp before it had to use hard disc. The improvement in the speed of the index re-build was spectacular.

Of course we had to split-up the task into four chunks so that each particular index task used no more than 13.5GB of .srt files.

I don't know how HPUX treats /tmp ... nor whether you have enough memory to be able to do as I'm suggesting. If /tmp isn't memory in HPUX then maybe there is a way to create a "RAM disc".

Good luck!
Ron.