Some more help

apunhiran

Hi PROGRESS Gurus,

As I have mentioned earlier that I am new to PROGRESS. I am basically an Oracle DBA. In PROGRESS we have Database----->dataset------><something>.
I use mpro to check and write : mpro <something>.
I am, not able to understand what is this 3rd thing, for me it looks like a file on the OS or a datafile. I am not able to understand these things reading the admin guide. Why do we deal individuallly with these files. Can my have a doc on the architecture and framework of PROGRESS.
Please help.
Thanks
Apun Hiran

cecsno

apunhiran said:
Hi PROGRESS Gurus,

As I have mentioned earlier that I am new to PROGRESS. I am basically an Oracle DBA. In PROGRESS we have Database----->dataset------><something>.
I use mpro to check and write : mpro <something>.
I am, not able to understand what is this 3rd thing, for me it looks like a file on the OS or a datafile. I am not able to understand these things reading the admin guide. Why do we deal individuallly with these files. Can my have a doc on the architecture and framework of PROGRESS.
Please help.
Thanks
Apun Hiran
Progress is a client/server environment, mpro is a client startup script/batch file that takes 0 or more startup options to connect to a database, performance parameters and or application parameters. If you enter mpro with no options it will take you into the Progress editor connect to no database.

Remember Oracle is far more complicated than Progress, you're letting you knowledge get in the way.

start with prodb (create a database),
then pro (start a single users client session),
then proserve (start a database in multiuser mode)
then mpro (start a multiuser client session).

You can actually create databases from the client sessions also.

Warning ... There is no uses for a DBA in a simple Progress environment