Server or system has no more resources

One other thing. Out of curiousity I looked at my main production database. The database in question shows no current users, however, this database does. This confuses me even more as all users connect to both database. They connect to the database below first and the total number reflects what I see in both promon activity screens.

[FONT=r_ansi][FONT=r_ansi]04/04/12 Status: Servers
07:43:28
Sv Pend. Cur. Max. Port
No Pid Type Protocol Logins Users Users Users Num
0 8102 Login TCP 3086 0 0 50 12000
1 8216 Auto TCP 3112 0 0 50 1025
2 8372 Auto TCP 858 0 8 50 1032
3 10002 Auto TCP 1321 0 10 50 1033
4 10004 Auto TCP 907 0 9 50 1034

Can you recommend a book that delves into these issues?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You *might* get away with killing an inactive server. But don't blame me if your database crashes ;)

As far as books go... The documentation does cover all of this stuff. You do have to read it carefully and work through the implications of things. It doesn't spell things out in terms that upper management is likely to understand.

I suggest that you attend PUG Challenge and go to all of the DBA oriented sessions :)

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
One other thing. Out of curiousity I looked at my main production database. The database in question shows no current users, however, this database does. This confuses me even more as all users connect to both database. They connect to the database below first and the total number reflects what I see in both promon activity screens.

Code:
04/04/12 Status: Servers
07:43:28
Sv                            Pend.  Cur.  Max.  Port
No  Pid Type  Protocol Logins Users Users Users   Num
0  8102 Login TCP        3086    0     0    50  12000
1  8216 Auto  TCP        3112    0     0    50   1025
2  8372 Auto  TCP         858    0     8    50   1032
3 10002 Auto  TCP        1321    0    10    50   1033
4 10004 Auto  TCP         907    0     9    50   1034
[FONT=r_ansi][FONT=r_ansi]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
What is the number of remote 4GL users, self-service 4GL users, and SQL users you want to be able to connect concurrently to this database we have been discussing? It doesn't look like you need 200 remote 4GL, based on the numbers from your production database. And if you actually have 200 remote users, having only five servers will give you crappy performance.

You may as well sort out your -Mn, -Ma, -n, etc., to make sense for your needs on this DB. Also, you can set -n higher if you want to. It is not related to user licensing, it is the maximum connections you can have on the database. If in doubt, set it higher than you need. There is a small memory penalty for setting it too high, but the penalty for setting it too low (users can't connect, 748 errors) is worse.

You are correct that there are not alot of remote clients for this database. We could potentially have this isue with another, but the exact same scenario is unlikely to occur. As part of our maintenance completion we login via a remote client after any downtime to test the connection.

I applied an increased user count (250). I added min and max port parameters. I did this in my test environment and it looked good. I then deicided to replicate what I believe happened at the last reboot and encountered the same issue. With the assistance of you gurus, I now understand more clearly the process and am ready to propose what is happening so that I can come up with a plan to ensure it does not happen in the future.

If there are no 4GL connections following startup and there are 4 concurrent SQL connections, before the first 4GL connection occurs. Login as a 4GL client and "BAM!". I could just make sure that at any restart to perform a 4GL login, but that to me is lame.

Any ideas on how I could ensure via my database startup script that I have the number of SQL and 4GL servers that I need? That, to me, would be the best solution.

Thanks!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It is very, very simple.

Start dedicated brokers for SQL and 4GL connections. That is the right thing to do and the only way to completely avoid this problem.

You should never expect anything but trouble from starting a servertype of "both" and then mixing 4gl and sql access.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Separating 4GL from SQL requires changes to your database startup parameters. Please provide your full list of startup parameters for your dual-broker configuration.