Server Moving! March 31 - April 2

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Server Moving!

I just wanted to let everyone know that this server that hosts ProgressTalk.com and other sites will be moving to a new data center. The new data center is in New York City a block south of the NYSE and Wall Street, in a first class high-tech facility. The new network bandwidth provider will be by http://www.peer1.net/ who have an exceptionally fast network and never had any outages, including during the huge northeast blackout last year.

The downside is that the server needs to be physically moved from it's current location in Englewood, CO to this new data center, so there will be 2 or 3 days when the sites will be unavailable. This will start sometime on Wednesday March 31st, and I hope to have the server back online sometime on Friday April 2. During this time you will probably be redirected to a message saying the site is down and the server is being moved. I'm sorry about this, but I think the enhanced performance and reliability are worth the hassle.

As part of this move, I will also be upgrading the operating system to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 ES. This is mainly because Red Hat is no longer supporting the current version, and there won't be any more bug fixes or security patches released by them.

Also free @progresstalk.com email service will be discontinued at this time. I am sorry to have to do this, but the resources (both cpu and disk space) required for this service have become very significant because of the amount of spam being sent to accounts at this domain, and I don't want the web site performance to suffer because of it. There aren't too many people using this on a daily basis, so hopefully this won't be too big of a problem.

Thanks for understanding and your cooperation!

Chris

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Just to update you all, the server move went very well, and the server is now running in the new datacenter at Peer 1 NYC.