Question Requesting Some Hand Holding?

bob noobie

Hi All,
I just got a job as a junior progress programmer.

My question probably won't be a popular one. As it may seem it is a lazy way to learn.

I have read many article mention that progress documentation goes in depth that you don't really need any more tutorial. On the contrary. I though feel the documentation is great, but it lacks some real example you would find in the work place.

I am wondering if I can get some hand holding to do progress tutorial kind of like codecademy.com? I don't know if you seen the kind of learning there. but it is more of hand holding, with "adventureWorks" like sample set of data.

So far I just learn progress from a senior programmer in the company, things like "For each", find, if available, break by, first of, ect.
But I want to learn more complex stuff. with story of real world example or challenge.

to top it off. I am wondering if there is such student / express version that you can install in my home computer. it would be great if we can get tutorial to setup personal environment for others to follow along.

Maybe I can pioneer the first Progress 101 tutorial /material on the intraweb (with screen shots and sample data) that others can benefit from with the help of pros / senior guys/girls here.

I am not sure if this comes out right, because usually my sentence often run on and came out wrong. but here goes nothing :)

thanks all

My Notebook <-- I created a public notebook. To document my learning.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Welcome aboard!
You're right the documentation doesn't have much by way of real examples. The best way to learn is to do the job, but there are some things to help.

1) There is a free 11.6 edition called the Classroom Edition. Progress® OpenEdge® 11.6 Developer Kit Classroom Edition - Downloads - OpenEdge Classroom - Progress Community
2) The Progress Community is another great place to ask for help. Progress Community There are links to the knowledgebase there too.
3) Progress Academy is 3 week residential bootcamp. I believe it takes place in Rotterdam. Progress Academy - Progress I believe it also costs €1000 per attendee. So along with flights and accommodation it's still very affordable. Talk to your employer.

Hope that helps!

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
A great many ABL programmers learn by a combination of looking at code and mentoring from others in the company, supplemented by interactions on forums like this. The tricky part, of course, is whether the code base you are looking at is a good example or a bad example. The latter are more typical. So, question what you see, especially if the code is vintage.